Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
When Brazil battered Portugal in a friendly, Anderson told Ronaldo: ‘Next time we’ll play our fifth team to give you a chance.’ Ronaldo was not amused. That’s the kind of country Brazil is. I love that story about the competition in Rio to unearth new No. 10s and thousands turning up. One boy travelled for 22 hours on a bus. It’s a massive country, with talent everywhere.

What does mean? the underlined words...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
When Brazil battered Portugal in a friendly, Anderson told Ronaldo: ‘Next time we’ll play our fifth team to give you a chance.’ Ronaldo was not amused. That’s the kind of country Brazil is. I love that story about the competition in Rio to unearth new No. 10s and thousands turning up. One boy travelled for 22 hours on a bus. It’s a massive country, with talent everywhere.

There seems to have been a competition to find (recruit) "new No. 10s" (whatever they are) and thousands of candidates came.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know much about football (soccer), but I understand it to mean that there was a competition held in Rio to identify talented young footballers who might become professionals, and eventually play with the number 10 on their shirts. I believe the number 10 often identifies the wearer as being the team's main "striker", and hence a very important individual. It would seem that thousands of hopeful candidates travelled from all over Brazil to take part in the competition.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Sepmre, you have to listen to our advice. We have shown you over and over again how to construct a question. You should have said:

What do the underlined words mean?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is "a friendly"?

When Brazil battered Portugal in a friendly,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I​t's a match in which the result is unimportant. It is not part of a tournament or a league. No points are awarded to either team based on the final score. It's almost a practice match.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Exhibition game" we would call it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.