[General] 300 head(s) of high-grade cattle(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQZ

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"I'm here in protest, and to get an apology," said Masaki Yoshizawa, who had 300 head of high-grade "wagyu" cattle on a ranch about 9 miles (14 kilometers) from the plant. ABCnews

Dear all,

Should the bold parts be "heads" and "cattles", since Mr Yoshizawa had more than one cattle? Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"I'm here in protest, and to get an apology," said Masaki Yoshizawa, who had 300 head of high-grade "wagyu" cattle on a ranch about 9 miles (14 kilometers) from the plant. ABCnews

Dear all,

Should the bold parts be "heads" and "cattles", since Mr Yoshizawa had more than one [STRIKE]cattle[/STRIKE] cow/bull? You can't say this because cattle is plural. He has more than one cow.

Could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

Cattle is a plural noun. It refers to all the bulls and cows kept by the rancher.

Head is a plural noun when it's used in this sense (i.e. to count livestock).

Last edited:

LQZ

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Cattle is a plural noun. It refers to all the bulls and cows kept by the rancher.

Head is a plural noun when it's used in this sense (i.e. to count farm animals).
Yes, you are definitely right. M-W dictionary has proved your explanation. Thanks for your help. :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, you are definitely right. M-W dictionary has proved your explanation. Thanks for your help. :-D
Freezeframe knew she was right, or she would not have answered your question.

If you are going to check up on our answers in a dictionary, why don't you use the dictionary first?

Last edited:

LQZ

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Freezeframe knew she was right, or she would not have answered your question.

If you are going to check up on our answers in a dictionary, why don't you use the dictionary first?
Sorry for not expressing myself clearly.

I originally looked up "head" in Longman dictionary (head, click here). But the dictionary doesn't list head as a plural noun, not to mention that definition explained by Freezeframe. Then I start this thread to remove my confusion. After reading Freezeframe's explanation, I turned to W-M's learner's dictionary that proves what she said.

Have I made my thanks-statement clear now?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Head is a plural noun when it's used in this sense (i.e. to count farm animals).

:up: And I think they have to be four-legged: you don't have '100 head of chickens'. And maybe a special kind of four-legged animals - it would sound odd v. odd with dogs as the thing being counted.

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just to show off, it's a Synecdoche.

Head of cattle, faces in the crowd, all hands on deck.

A part is used to refer to the whole.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
:up: And I think they have to be four-legged: you don't have '100 head of chickens'. And maybe a special kind of four-legged animals - it would sound odd v. odd with dogs as the thing being counted.

b

You're right. I'll change it to livestock.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sorry for not expressing myself clearly.

I originally looked up "head" in Longman dictionary (head, click here). But the dictionary doesn't list head as a plural noun, not to mention that definition explained by Freezeframe. Then I start this thread to remove my confusion. After reading Freezeframe's explanation, I turned to W-M's learner's dictionary that proves what she said.

Have I made my thanks-statement clear now?

From the link you provide:

46 head of cattle/sheep etc [plural] a particular number of cows, sheep etc: a farm with 20 head of cattle

The problem with that dictionary is how they organize and lay out the information. Unless you know what you're looking for, it's difficult to figure anything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.