Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Sometimes a past simple tense is used with "if" where a past perfect would be normal."

1)"If I had the the money I would have been surfing in New Zealand."

OR

2)"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake."

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1)"If I had the the money I would have been surfing in New Zealand."

OR

2)"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake."
#1 is just about possible. The speaker may be suggesting that he is permanently without money.
#2, IMO, requires if I had known.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
#1 is just about possible. The speaker may be suggesting that he is permanently without money.
#2, IMO, requires if I had known.

These examples are from the grammar text-book Michael Swan "Practical English Usage"

3)"If I had the money with me I would have bought you one."

OR

4)"If I didn't have my walking boots on I think I would have really hurt my foot."

In both of these the pas perfect would be OK.

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"If I Knew You Were Coming I"d Have Baked a Cake." Certainly incorrect, but this was the title of American singer Georgia Gibbs's first big hit in the early '50's. Perhaps you can find it on YouTube.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
These examples are from the grammar text-book Michael Swan "Practical English Usage"

OR

4)"If I didn't have my walking boots on I think I would have really hurt my foot."

In both of these the pas perfect would be OK.
I have to say that I disagree with the above, IMO #3 should be "If I had had the money..."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with bhaisahab. I'd have a past perfect in #4, too.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I agree with bhaisahab. I'd have a past perfect in #4, too.
I was going to include #4 and then I realised that a case could be made for it. If you and I were walking in the mountains and I stubbed my foot against a rock, I might say "If I didn't have my walking boots on, I think I would have really hurt my foot".

Reactions: 5jj

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have to say that I disagree with the above, IMO #3 should be "If I had had the money..."

Did you mean the author Michael Swan was wrong in his grammar textbook ?
I really don't understand why it can't be correct ?
As far as I know the grammatical structure using in that sentence is fine, I was taught three types of IF statement and don't know the exceptions in making sentences following these structures.
Could you please make it clear ?
Thank you so much !

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As far as I know the grammatical structure using in that sentence is fine, I was taught three types of IF statement and don't know the exceptions in making sentences following these structures.
Thank you so much !
"If I had the money, I would buy you one" would be correct. "If I had the money (now), I would buy you one" (now). "If I had the money (present tense, now), I would have bought you one" (past, then) This is not logical. However, "If I had had the money (past, then), I would have bought you one" (past, then) is perfectly logical.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"If I had the money, I would buy you one" would be correct. "If I had the money (now), I would buy you one" (now). "If I had the money (present tense, now), I would have bought you one" (past, then) This is not logical. However, "If I had had the money (past, then), I would have bought you one" (past, then) is perfectly logical.

The above mentioned book would be incorrect?

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A learner/

"If I Knew You Were Coming I"d Have Baked a Cake." Certainly incorrect, but this was the title of American singer Georgia Gibbs's first big hit in the early '50's. Perhaps you can find it on YouTube.

Thank you so much !

"If I Knew You Were Coming I"d Have Baked a Cake." I agree to teacher riquecohen that this is wrong.

I'll try to explain it my way.

If I knew at the same time during which you were coming that you were coming how could I bake a cake?
In what time?

Got it?

If I had known that you were coming I would have baked a cake. (Prethee correct)

Now, in the past, there was a time distance between the time at which I had known that you would come and your coming so that it had been possible for me to bake a cake.

This is thinking of a learner. What to do!

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
/A learner/

"If I Knew You Were Coming I"d Have Baked a Cake." I agree to teacher riquecohen that this is wrong.

I'll try to explain it my way.

If I knew at the same time as you were coming that you were coming how could I bake a cake?
In what time?

Got it?

If I had known that you were coming I would bake a cake. (Prethee correct)

Now there is a time distance between the time in which I had known that you would come and your coming so that it is possible for me to bake a cake.

This is thinking of a learner. What to do!

I just presented an extract from the text-book.

These examples are from the grammar text-book Michael Swan "Practical English Usage" p. 240 third edition. Read it.

"If I had the money with me I would have bought you one."

OR

"If I didn't have my walking boots on I think I would have really hurt my foot."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you so much !

Yes. That's the text-book I 've been reading a lot. I was just wondering if the grammar is so different and is dependant on a book you're reading?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've just tracked down the Swan examples. He introduces them with the words, "Sometimes a simple past is used with if where a past perfect would be normal. This is more common in American English."

Unfortunately, he does not say how (un)common it is in Br E.

Until today I would have said that the money example was incorrect/unacceptable. It is just about possible (as I explained in post #2), but only without the words 'with me.'

I will now have to to listen more carefully to what native speakers say. It is, of course, not impossible that Swan is wrong. However, he is normally so sound that I may have overlooked similar examples in real life, by believing that nobody would utter them. What is fairly certain is that many native speakers, including experienced teachers (and probably examiners; be warned!) do not think that examples such as we have been discussing are normal.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I just presented an extract from the text-book.

These examples are from the grammar text-book Michael Swan "Practical English Usage" p. 240 third edition. Read it.

"If I had the money with me I would have bought you one."

OR

"If I didn't have my walking boots on I think I would have really hurt my foot."
These two are correct. (For me of course. Who I am to say this!)

How could have I bought you anything if the money wasn't with me?

Me, you, money and buying; all together at the same time. (In the past)

On the other hand look at this example

If this house had been bought by my grand grandfather, my father, for sure, would have left it to me a few years ago when he passed away.
It is prethee possible that here was a certain time distance between the time when my grand grandfather had lived and the time when my father died.

But I also must say that this way of speaking would be more difficult for grammatically correct speaking of the language. It is much easier to use so called third conditional for all unfulfilled events in the past.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Me, you, money and buying; all together at the same time. (In the past)
The point is that they are not all together in the normal understanding of the words, as bhaisahab pointed out in post #9

Status
Not open for further replies.