Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Canada
I heard today from my co-worker," Shut the water"(the water was running). "Shut the light" -I heard from the same person a few days ago. Is it right to say?

[M]in

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I do not think it is right to say like that. You can use Collocations Dict to know which nouns is "shut" used with:

Shut is used with these nouns as the subject: door, eye, factory, gate, mouth, shop

Shut is used with these nouns as the object: blind, boot, box, briefcase, curtain, door, drawer, ear, eye, factory, finger, gate, hatch, lid, mouth, shop, suitcase, window

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I heard today from my co-worker," Shut the water"(the water was running). "Shut the light" -I heard from the same person a few days ago. Is it right to say?
Common usage in AmE is to shut something off, as in "Shut off the water." "Shut off the light." We would "shut the door" and "shut the gate."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Shut the lights (or light)" is definitely heard in AmE. Some Americans also say "Close the lights." I am not sure whether these usages are regional or how widespread they are. I've never heard them in Canada, the UK or India. In Canada we say "Turn off the lights (or light)."

I have never heard "Shut the water", but "Shut off the water" sounds perfect to me. I also have never heard "Shut the electricity." But in AmE "Shut off the electricity" means to disconnect it at the main switch.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[M]in and olgkul, welcome to the forums! :hi::hi:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can "shut out the light" by, for example, putting very thick black blinds or curtains up at the windows in order to stop any light getting in. It does not mean "switch off the electric light using the switch on the wall".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Shut the lights (or light)" is definitely heard in AmE. Some Americans also say "Close the lights." I am not sure whether these usages are regional or how widespread they are. I've never heard them in Canada, the UK or India. In Canada we say "Turn off the lights (or light)."

I have never heard "Shut the water", but "Shut off the water" sounds perfect to me. I also have never heard "Shut the electricity." But in AmE "Shut off the electricity" means to disconnect it at the main switch.

I've never heard any American say either "shut the lights" or "close the lights."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Looking into it a little, it seems to be a New York regionalism.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Maybe this has something to do with the number of Spanish-speakers (that is, first or only language speakers) in the southern US. I believe the same thing happens in French - which adds Louisiana to the group of possible sources for this false friend. ;-)

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Shut the lights sounds OK to me, like Hit the lights.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: (It's worth pointing out that 'Hit the lights' is pretty informal).

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And "hit the lights" could mean to either turn them off or on.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I was beginning to say that in my last post, but then thought I was wrong. Now you've convinced me I wasn't :)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I was beginning to say that in my last post, but then thought I was wrong. Now you've convinced me I wasn't :)

b

I spent five minutes this morning trying to decide whether I thought "Hit the lights" would refer to turning them on or off. By the time I'd realised it was both, I was late for work and didn't have time to post.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
On or off for me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both Metallica and Selena Gomez (separately) have used the expression in songs about taking the stage and getting the crowd all fired up. So it's definitely lights on in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.