Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is the following in red saying in the context?

I talked myself into World War 1 by a patriotic address in Escanaba, Michigan; I have barnstormed for charity with Mickey Rooney ... I have even made an after-dinner speech in very bad French.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I talked myself into World War 1 by a patriotic address in Escanaba, Michigan;

Whilst "talking yourself into something" is perfectly acceptable English, the whole first part of the piece makes no sense.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Whilst "talking yourself into something" is perfectly acceptable English, the whole first part of the piece makes no sense.

Does anyone think that the author was trying for "I talked my way into World war 1"? It makes more sense that way. I even suspected at first that author was Hemingway, but have been unable to find any evidence for that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think he means that he talked himself into joining the army (in order to fight in the war) after hearing the patriotic address.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He may have meant that he talked his way into World War I but following that with "by a patriotic address" makes no sense.

I was talked into [joining] WWI by a patriotic address ...
I talked myself into joining WWI after hearing ...

If he gave the speech himself, then:

I talked my way into WWI by giving a patriotic address ...

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It might not sound good English, but I am pretty much sure I have met something similar somewhere (Mark Twain, Jerome K. Jerome?) In that context, the meaning was cystal clear like 'I was so remarkably eloquent that even believed it (or whatever he spoke about) myself'. I have always thought that it was coined from 'talk [myself] into doing [here: believing] sth'.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here's some more of the passage, which I found here:

" He determined to become a good speaker and didn’t stop in that determination until he became a world-respected economic consultant to the government. His name is Clarence B. Randall. In one of his thoughtful books, Freedom’s Faith, he has this to say about public speaking:

“I have service stripes all the way up one sleeve and all the way down the other from appearances before luncheons and dinners of manufacturers’ associations, Chambers of Commerce, Rotary Clubs, fundraising campaigns, alumni organizations and all the rest. I talked myself into World War I by a patriotic address in Escanaba, Michigan; I have barnstormed for charity with Mickey Rooney, and for education with President James Bryant Conant of Harvard and Chancellor Robert M. Hutchins of the University of Chicago; and I have even made an after-dinner speech in very bad French.”

“I think I know something about what an audience will listen to. And how they want it said. And there is nothing whatever about it that a man worthy to bear important business responsibility cannot learn if he will.” "

This seems to suggest that a patriotic speech he gave was so effective that it even convinced him that he should enlist to go to war.

Status
Not open for further replies.