[Grammar] GB comprises England, Scotland and Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. GB comprises England, Scotland and Wales.

2. GB is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales.

Is 2 also grammatical?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes. but you should use 'Great Britain', not GB.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Yes. but you should use 'Great Britain', not GB.

Thank you, HanibalII, so very much. In The Free Dictionary GB stands for Great Britain. Shouldn’t we use the abbreviation GB for Great Britain?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can in contexts where it's clear. I think it's OK here.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you, HanibalII, so very much. In The Free Dictionary GB stands for Great Britain. Shouldn’t we use the abbreviation GB for Great Britain?

You can in contexts where it's clear. I think it's OK here.

It's working on the assumption the reader knows what 'GB' stands for and in truth, I have never seen 'GB' used for 'Great Britain'.

I think if you're referring to any country/collective of countries, you should use the full name. But that's just my personal opinion based on what I was taught in school.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
GB isn't used as often as UK, but it's certainly used a lot. I'm very surprised that you say you've never seen it, HannibalII. If you watched any of the London Olympics you will have seen GB used throughout. Our Olympic team were called "Team GB". It's also the abbreviation that we put on the stickers on the back of our cars when driving abroad to show where the car is from.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with all of you; at least in part. Here's my tuppence worth.
First, I agree with HannibalII's first response that, in the particular circumstances of the question, "Great Britain" should have been used. I say that because all the individual countries were named in full, so the collective term for them should also have been named in full.
In other circumstances, I agree with Odessa Dawn and Tdol that it's perfectly fine to use the abbreviation "GB" - so long as the context is appropriate, and only these 3 countries are included. Unlike HannibalII, I do see "GB" used, but all too often incorrectly when the context includes Northern Ireland. In these circumstances, the term "UK" should be used. Because the "United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is such a mouthful, it is almost never quoted in full, and "UK" is used almost exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.