Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Should I put a s after the word of science in the sentence below?

All5 will pass: our achievements and failures, loves and hatred, religions and science, but this will remain: the wonderer looking into the distance, the mist rising over the sea line.

I only heard Carl Sagan said sciences before in his video but never heard anyone else said that before.

I use s in all the nouns in the sentence (accept hatred and science), like achievements, failures, loves, etc - am I right?

Thanks.

Last edited:

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
not teacher

All5 will pass: (our) achievement and failure, love and hate, religion and science, but this will remain: the wonderer looking into the distance, mist rising over the sea.

You could pluralize all of them, but probably reads better like this. The sea line could be the coastline or the seashore.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
All[STRIKE]5[/STRIKE] five will pass -- our achievements and failures, loves and hatred, religions and science -- but this will remain: the wonderer looking into the distance, the mist rising over the sea line.

I only heard Carl Sagan said sciences before in his video but never heard anyone else said that before.

Wonderer is not a word; do you mean wanderer?

wonder = to think about something
wander = to walk about aimlessly

You should not use a colon twice in the same sentence.

Science = scientific thinking and/or scientific method
Sciences = various disciplines that utilize the scientific method

Last edited:

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Thanks guys. Sorry the number of 5 is a mistake. It should not be there! lol:oops:

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks guys. Sorry the number of 5 is a mistake. It should not be there! lol:oops:

:-D I just thought you couldn't count to six.

PS I put the dash in the wrong place before. I changed it now ^^

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Wonderer is not a word; do you mean wanderer?

wonder = to think about something
wander = to walk about aimlessly

You should not use a colon twice in the same sentence.

Science = scientific thinking and/or scientific method
Sciences = various disciplines that utilize the scientific method

Initially, I mean to say the person who wonders about something so I made up this word - wonderer.

But I also would like to use wanderer in that sentence but it will change the meaning of the whole sentence...

can't decide! :-|

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
not teacher

All5 will pass: (our) achievement and failure, love and hate, religion and science, but this will remain: the wonderer looking into the distance, mist rising over the sea.

You could pluralize all of them, but probably reads better like this. The sea line could be the coastline or the seashore.

Thanks. I think I mean to say the sea horizon. :) my mistake.

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Initially, I mean to say the person who wonders about something so I made up this word - wonderer.

But I also would like to use wanderer in that sentence but it will change the meaning of the whole sentence...

can't decide! :-|

Can I use both the wonderer and the wanderer instead in this sentence?

(I know wonderer is not a word but I think I will invent it!)

All will pass -- our achievements and failures, loves and hatred, religions and science -- but this will remain: the wonderer and the wanderer looking into the distance, the mist rising over the sea horizon.

I want to imply that the wonderer is the wanderer, and the wanderer is the wonderer too!

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Can I use both the wonderer and the wanderer instead in this sentence?

(I know wonderer is not a word but I think I will invent it!)

All will pass -- our achievements and failures, loves and hatred, religions and science -- but this will remain: the wonderer and the wanderer looking into the distance, the mist rising over the sea horizon.

I want to imply that the wonderer is the wanderer, and the wanderer is the wonderer too!

It sounds like there are two people.

What do you mean by "wonderer"? If you mean a wise person you can say something like "a wandering sage" or "a wandering philosopher" -- both have a long tradition in the Western civilization and, I would assume, in some other parts of the globe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.