Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi people
Here is some idea on a Verb Tenses table. If you do not mind checking the attached MWORD file.
Am here to find the ‘reliable third-party sources to cite’ as requires Wikipedia for my Tense Badge article. Thank you

Attachments

• wikipedia TENSES.docx
    27 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would like to check the teachers’ opinion on this stuff.
Please see the attached doc. file. Thank you for your time
Well, to start with, I don't think there are twelve major tenses in English, I don't like the term 'Past Indefinite', and few grammarians these days refer to 'future tenses'. So, sorry, but this doesn't work for me.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Try a more formal presentation first. I was very confused by all of the questions to the reader when the diagram was never clearly explained. There are so many exceptions and contradictions in English's tense system that a very prescriptive system like this could cause trouble for new learners down the road. I think it might be helpful (I like to draw pictures and diagram sentences to highlight differences between tenses) but it took so much work for me to understand your system that I'm not at all sure that it's your system anymore; is this what you meant or am I just assigning my own meaning to your work?

alex spb

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi, Mr Ben
Thanks for reply

There have been more than just 12 tenses in English, yeah, right. And it has always been a complex to explain English tenses to non-English speaking students and this is a #1 problem. I like an idea helping students to acquire a preliminary knowledge first and then move on the conventional definitions of tenses.

Aside of number of tenses discussion those symbols would be useful in quick marking each particular tense in example sentences as well as in highlighting differences between tenses—both done on the class board and in writing books. And drawing diagrams you mentioned you like to do… symbols can be used in this job as well. Teacher just marks a tense with the correspondent symbol above the tenses parts in a general discussion or when comparing and opposing tenses. I came across the idea a while ago and now exploit them in my Tenses For Total Newbies article for my English site.

I believe tenses symbols would be very helpful to non-English speaking student coz symbols can help managing in creating a preliminary knowledge. Just help students to get their bearings in tenses first… I know from my teaching practice that this way students are free to just concentrate on the logical side of the things instead of spending their vigor on memorizing regular tenses definitions like Past Progressive for given <=2 (or Past 2). Then, after getting through the complexity of understanding the principle rules and codes of tenses, having gotten in their minds a simple tenses table and having moved on the second stage of study, then the conventional definitions can be used with more success. This is the idea of Tense Badge and tenses symbols. It’s about a non-English speaking state of mind and difficulty understanding the foreign language.

Sorry ‘bout my monkey English. Sincerely, Alex Povazhnov. Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.