Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What do you call this type of eye problem?(When people like at something but the eyes seem to be looking something else.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I must admit that I was rather surprised by that definition of "squint" which, to me, is when you screw your eyes up small to try to read something or because there is a very bright light.

For me, the child in the picture is "cross-eyed" or "boss-eyed", although admittedly the first usually means that both eyes look in to the centre. He might also be said to have a "lazy eye".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The medical term is strabismus.

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

strabismus n
  • abnormal alignment of one or both eyes, characterized by a turning inwards or outwards from the nose thus preventing parallel vision: caused by paralysis of an eye muscle, etc
    Also called: squint
Etymology: 17th Century: via New Latin from Greek strabismos, fromstrabizein to squint, from strabos cross-eyed

Rover

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
(When people like at something but the eyes seem to be looking something else.)

Thank you,emsr2d2, so very much for your precious help. I couldn't agree more with your feedback. Your version hit the bull's-eye. Great job! I think that "the eyes seem to be looking something else" is the closet in meaning to "the eyes look in different direction" Correct me, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.