Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This "toleration" is translated as "generosity" in Korean, but considering the whole paragraph, it seems to be "some balancing flexible mind or judgement", so I wonder what it actually means here. What do you think?

ex)If there is to be toleration in the world, one of the things taught in schools must be the habit of weighing evidence, and the practice of not giving full consent to propositions which there is no reason to believe true. For example, the art of reading newspapers should be taught. The schoolmaster should select some incident which happened a good many years ago, and roused political passions in its day. He should then read to the shoolchildren what was said by the newspapers on one side, what was said by those on the other, and some fair account of what really happened. He should make them understand that everything in newspapers is more or less untrue. The critical skepticism which would result from this teaching would make the children free from overly naive appeals to idealism in later life.

st14.6

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This "toleration" is translated as "generosity" in Korean, but considering the whole paragraph, it seems to be "some balancing flexible mind or judgement", so I wonder what it actually means here. What do you think?

ex)If there is to be toleration in the world, one of the things taught in schools must be the habit of weighing evidence, and the practice of not giving full consent to propositions which there is no reason to believe true. (That's actually two things that must be taught in schools - a habit and a practice.)

For example, the art of reading newspapers should be taught. The schoolmaster should select some incident which happened a good many years ago, and roused political passions in its day. He should then read to the shoolchildren what was said by the newspapers on one side, what was said by those on the other, and some fair account of what really happened. He should make them understand that everything in newspapers is more or less untrue. The critical skepticism which would result from this teaching would make the children free from overly native appeals to idealism in later life.
Should this be "naive"
st14.6
"Toleration", often expressed as "tolerance", in phrases such as "religious tolerance" means accepting that there are different cultures in the world with different values and having a "live and let live" approach to people from other cultures.
It doesn't mean "generosity" specifically.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

ex)If there is to be toleration in the world, one of the things taught in schools must be the habit of weighing evidence, and the practice of not giving full consent to propositions which there is no reason to believe true. For example, the art of reading newspapers should be taught. The schoolmaster should select some incident which happened a good many years ago, and roused political passions in its day. He should then read to the shoolchildren what was said by the newspapers on one side, what was said by those on the other, and some fair account of what really happened. He should make them understand that everything in newspapers is more or less untrue. The critical skepticism which would result from this teaching would make the children free from overly native appeals to idealism in later life.

st14.6

Firstly, I would use "tolerance" more readily than "toleration". Secondly, it does not translate well as "generosity" unless you're using it as "generosity of spirit" or "generosity of mind" or something similar.

If we are tolerant of something, it means that we accept its existence. When it comes to religion or sexuality and such things, it's used to show that even though someone else's beliefs or behaviour may not be the same as our own, we do not judge that person, we do not condemn for being different from us. A tolerant society is one in which many different cultures, belief systems, etc exist harmoniously together and where the members of each different group respect the members of the other groups and don't condemn or lambast them for being "different".

There is a slightly less positive use of the word. If someone says "There is a really annoying guy working at my company. He talks too loudly, he's rude and he never offers to make anyone else a cup of coffee. His name is John and he's incredibly irritating but I tolerate him because he's great at I.T. and he helps me fix my computer regularly", then you would get the idea that the speaker "puts up with" John because John has a good quality which means that the speaker can just about overlook John's other, less pleasant, qualities.

In the piece you quoted, it means that people should not only consider one version of events or not only believe one side of a story. We should look at many different opinions and versions in order to get a balanced, rounded view of a situation. By doing so, people come to realise that their own view of the world is not the only view and also that it should not automatically be considered to be the "right" view. If we understand that other people think differently from how we think, we will (or we should) be more tolerant of other people's ideas, beliefs, way of life and opinions

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would also use tolerance there.

Status
Not open for further replies.