Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What's the difference in the meanings the following sentences:
She claims that her dog is the best
She claims her dog to be the best
Aren't both correct? I know the first one is very clear and it does sound perfect to the ears but is the second one totally wrong? Does the second one not mean the same as the first sentence? If yes, what does it mean then?

thanks.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Aren't both correct? I know the first one is very clear and it does sound perfect to the ears but is the second one totally wrong? Does the second one not mean the same as the first sentence? If yes, what does it mean then?

thanks.

Although the constructions know smb./smth. to be ... and believe smb./smth. to be... are standard - if somewhat formal - constructions, some users would not accept ?claim smb/smth. to be.

Of the two sentences that you cite, only the first would be considered correct by all speakers of English.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

Neither is a sentence. End every sentence with the relevant punctuation mark (full stop, question mark, exclamation mark).

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Although the constructions know smb./smth. to be ... and believe smb./smth. to be... are standard - if somewhat formal - constructions, some users would not accept ?claim smb/smth. to be.

Of the two sentences that you cite, only the first would be considered correct by all speakers of English.
ok, "claims to be" is not a good idiom. "claims that.." is a error free always. Thank you.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
NOT A TEACHER

Neither is a sentence. End every sentence with the relevant punctuation mark (full stop, question mark, exclamation mark).
Ah, yes the full stops are missing. I kinda was worried about the "claims to be" "claims that" thingy. thanks anyway.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Capitalize the first letter of a sentence. And in your case, ok should be written as OK. Just some advice of mine. Don't bother.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, yes the full stops are missing. I kinda was worried about the "claims to be" "claims that" thingy. thanks anyway.

Please don't use non-standard English such as "kinda".

Status
Not open for further replies.