[Grammar] Do 'which+verb' and 'comma+Verb-ing' mean the same in these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Hello.
Would you please let me know whether the sentence 1, 2 mean the same and are natural? I split the each sentence into two stuructures to understand the similarity between two sentences(1,2).

1."I saw the ship's guns, catching the light of the moon." (I think this sentence is the same meaning as "I saw the ship's guns. The ship's guns was catching the light of the moon")
2."I saw the ship's guns which caught the light of the moon." (I think this sentence is the same meaning as "I saw the ship's guns. The ship's guns caught the light of the moon.")

As above, I thought the sentences(1,2) are the same as those sentences was split into two structures(past tense?). But I think my understanding is wrong, although I can't think up any better idea.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello.
Would you please let me know whether the sentences 1, 2 mean the same and are natural? I split the each sentence into two stuructures to understand the similarity between two sentences.

1."I saw the ship's guns, catching the light of the moon." (I think this sentence is the same meaning as "I saw the ship's guns. The ship's guns was catching the light of the moon")
2."I saw the ship's guns which catched the light of the moon." (I think this sentence is the same meaning as "I saw the ship's guns. The ship's guns catched the light of the moon.")

As above, I thought the sentences are the same, but I think my understanding is wrong, although I can't think up any better idea.

#2 is wrong. Can you see the error, it's connected with the verb "catch"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These two sentences mean the same thing. I don't know that you can state a general rule that a comma + a V-ing always means the same thing.

#2 should be "caught," which is the past tense of "catch."

eggcracker

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you bhaisahab, SoothingDave. I corrected the error.(catch-caught-caught Sorry, I frequently do mistake when I write irregular verbs.)
I learnt the sturucture starts with 'V-ing~~, S+V' before. But I couldn't find any explanation about 'S+V, V-ing ~~' structure nor I learnt. Now I know the sentences(errror corrected) are the same, but it's still quite confusing. Is it correct to split the sentences like I did?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, you can't split the sentences without changing the meaning.
"I saw the ship's guns catching the light of the moon."​

I also believe the comma is wrong. You saw them catching the light. You didn't see them, catching the light.

Saying i)
that you saw the ship's guns and ii) that the guns caught the light is not saying that you saw them catching the light (although it's consistent, and you probably did).

Just to explain further:
"I saw the man. The man stole the car" would not hold up in court as an eye-witness statement.
"I saw the man stealing the car" would.

Status
Not open for further replies.