Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why don't you say "the second price"? Why is "the" omitted? Just an exception hard to explain?

ex)I got second prize!

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I think both are possible but without the is an idiomatic expression. I need someone to confirm it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why don't you say "the second price"? Why is "the" omitted? Just an exception hard to explain?

ex)I got second prize!
It's what we say. Same for "I got second place". It would sound wrong with "the".

In fact, if prizes were being handed out all day for various things, you could win "first prize" in the fifth prize awarded.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It's what we say. Same for "I got second place". It would sound wrong with "the".

In fact, if prizes were being handed out all day for various things, you could win "first prize" in the fifth prize awarded.

Okay, The order of distribution doesn't count, so "the" should be omitted. By the way, this is another question for the conditional you used. You used "were" and "could" in terms of contional2 (unlikely future or counter-factual present). But do you think it means unlikely future or counter-factual present or a general time across all tenses(past,present, future). I've been always curious about it, I think the third one is also a possbility. Did you mean it in which nuance?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Okay, The order of distribution doesn't count, so "the" should be omitted. By the way, this is another question for the conditional you used. You used "were" and "could" in terms of contional2 (unlikely future or counter-factual present). But do you think it means unlikely future or counter-factual present or a general time across all tenses(past,present, future). I've been always curious about it, I think the third one is also a possbility. Did you mean it in which nuance?
I'm not aware of meaning anything of that complexity. But I'll try to think about it.

Ok, I've thought about it. I really don't understand these questions about 2nd conditionals and degrees of hypotheticality.
I'm sure you understand what the sentence means. Perhaps someone else can help to describe it in grammatical terms..

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you say If I were a rich man, the chances are you haven't been one and are unlikely to become one, but you are talking about the present above all.

Status
Not open for further replies.