Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Would u like to tell me about this poem what this poem is suggesting i dun understand it.. i have to do its critical analysis : Impression De Voyage
by Oscar Wilde

what is the main theme or concept of the sapphire color does it shows the sunset or destruction

Flittle

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
France
The main theme of this poem for me is Oscar Wilde's journey back to Greece where he had spent some time in the past, it appears that he was travelling from the direction of Italy or North Africa but of course we are not sure of that.

Sapphire refers to the blue colour of the sea.

Heated opal to the marbled blue of the sky.

I always think of The Greek Islands as blue lands, with their blue skys and blue shuttered white houses.

I stress this is my own personal view others may interpret it differently.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would u like to tell me about this poem what this poem is suggesting i dun understand it.. i have to do its critical analysis : Impression De Voyage
by Oscar Wilde
Please try to use correct forms when asking questions in this forum. I am sure that you know that the first person pronoun I is always capitalised, and that the words is don't, not dun

snow.white

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
In the line it is written the sky burned like a heated opal through the air. I am unable to figure what these last words suggests through the air and sky is burned so it doesn't mean it is blue. I am confused here.

Flittle

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
France
Hello Snow White,

As I said this poem is open to different interpretations. If you go to this web site you will find a necklace with a heated opal stone as you will see it is a marbled blue colour.

Heated Opal Enhancer on Dancing Pearl Necklace

Maybe the phrase 'through the air' suggests that the heated opal acted like a paint brush and painted the sky in its own colours.
It is true that there is also a stone callled a fire opal which is red maybe 'burned' refers to fire opal but that is not what it says. We don't know, only Oscar Wilde knows.
Remember things can be white hot as well as red hot.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.