Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The picture that was hanging in the loby grabbed my attention."

I'm not getting this but I was told by my Ukrainian teacher it would be incorrect to say this.????

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"The book that was hanging in the loby grabbed my attention."

I'm not getting this but I was told by my Ukrainian techer it would be incorrect to say this.????
I can't see anything wrong with "grabbed my attention", but "hanging in the lobby" is more than a little strange.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I can't see anything wrong with "grabbed my attention", but "hanging in the lobby" is more than a little strange.

I was thinking the picture hanging.....

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Pictures hang, books don't.
I pictured a procession of sinister-looking men dragging shackled books to the gallows built in the lobby. :shock:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I pictured a procession of sinister-looking men dragging shackled books to the gallows built in the lobby. :shock:

"The speaker grabbed an audience." If I looked through the window and saw my room-mate walking down the street, could I say "I was waving at you when you were walking down the street but couldn't grad you (meaning couldn't grab his attention)"?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
If I looked through the window and saw my room-mate walking down the street, could I say "I was waving at you when you were walking down the street but couldn't grab you (meaning couldn't grab his attention)"?

ostap.
You would have to reach through the window to grab him. When you call or wave to someone walking by, you are trying to "get", "attract" or "grab" their attention. But "it grabbed my attention" often conveys a stronger sense of "seized" or "gripped", as the vision of the contents of a library hanging from a gibbet might do.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.