Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm doing a tefl course i'm on the last part of the course and think i've done ok considering i have no experance in teaching.but this question i just can't get to grips with. i know what is expected but can't explain it the way they want it.
Question based on hobbies:
Now write a lesson plan for a 45-minute-long lesson on the chosen topic in the space provided below. Click here to remind yourself of the model structure for a lesson plan. To pass this task, make sure each stage of your plan includes an activity description, the type of interaction, and the timing.

For example:
1. Warmer. Play pictionary using the words taught in the previous lesson. S-S 5 minutes

My input:
Level:
Elementary

Lesson Length:
45 mins

Objective:
To learn vocabulary of popular hobbies and to review adverbs of frequency

Target language:
My aim would be to introduce hobbies that students know about IE Cook,Football,Swim,Computer games,Playing musical instruments,Internet,Read,Write,paint.
1.subject+always+verb( I always play computer games)
2.subject+often+ verb( she often swims)
3.(question word)+dose+subject+normally+verb?(where dose he normally read his book.)

Assumed knowledge:
Present simple and present continuous (positive, negative and question forms), adverbs of frequency (often, sometimes,usually etc)

Anticipated problems:
Anticipated problems could be understanding of the concept of Present simple and present continuous.Are they familiar vocabulary being used?.

Solutions:
If there was problems with vocabulary I could bring some items in a box IE a tennis ball,dvd,book.And drill the about how we use these items as a hobby.
Present simple and present continuous: I would use a timeline and explain the meaning and use some sample sentences then elicit awsners.

Preparation and aids:
Black/white board.Markers.Flash cards(hobbies),Questions sheet,pens.

Warmer:
Play a game of Who am i?,Based on hobbies.Get one student to stand with their back against the white board, facing the rest of the class. Write a word relating to hobbies IE footballer,cook.on the board that they can't see, but the rest of the class can. The rest of the class must now give the student keywords/descriptions of what he/she is. Start off easy, until the students get the hang of the game, then add in some more abstract words
Review last lesson(adverbs)
S/S 8 mins

Lead-in:
Ask question about what the students like to do in thier spare time(When?,Where?) and write thier awnsers on the board
T/S 3 mins

Presentation:
I will use flash cards with a picture on one side and the word on the other side.IE Cook,Football,Swim,Computer games,Playing musical instruments,Internet,Read,Write,paint.
Drill chorally and individually
Elicit: "I often play .........","She sometimes plays..........."
Flash up cards and ask for the meaning.
T/S 8 mins

Practice:
Elicit and drill new sentences using the new words and adverbs ,Write an example on the board
1.I normally play football at the weekend.
2.He often plays computer games at night.
3.We sonetimes cook for friends.
T/S 6 mins

Production:
I would put students into pairs with a question sheet and ask them to ask each other questions about thier hobbies and to write down the awsners they would then have to read out the answers
1.What is your favirote hobby?
2. how often do you do your hobby?
Check for understanding
Correct any errors or mistakes
P/W S/S 8 mins

Production:
Write a full paragraph about thier own hobbies
S/s 8 mins

Set homework:
Write a full paragraph about a family members hobby.
H/W T/S 2 mins

Im not looking for an answer more guidence as my tutor has gave me little feedback would be greatfull thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm doing a [STRIKE]tefl[/STRIKE] TEFL course. I'm on the last part of the course and think I've done OK considering I have no exper[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]ience in teaching, but this question I just can't get to grips with. I know what is expected but can't explain it the way they want it.
Question based on hobbies:
Now write a lesson plan for a 45-minute-long lesson on the chosen topic in the space provided below. Click here to remind yourself of the model structure for a lesson plan. To pass this task, make sure each stage of your plan includes an activity description, the type of interaction, and the timing.

For example:
1. Warmer. Play Pictionary using the words taught in the previous lesson. S-S 5 minutes

My input:
Level:
Elementary

Lesson Length:
45 mins

Objective:
To learn vocabulary of popular hobbies and to review adverbs of frequency

Target language:
My aim would be to introduce hobbies that students know about [STRIKE]IE[/STRIKE] ie Cooking, Football, Swimming, Computer games, Playing musical instruments, Internet, Reading, Writing, Painting.
1. subject+always+verb( I always play computer games)
2. subject+often+ verb( she often swims)
3. question word+[STRIKE]dose[/STRIKE]does+subject+normally+verb?(where [STRIKE]dose[/STRIKE]does he normally read his book.)

Assumed knowledge:
Present simple and present continuous (positive, negative and question forms), adverbs of frequency (often, sometimes, usually etc)

Anticipated problems:
Anticipated problems could be understanding of the concept of Present simple and present continuous. Are they familiar with the vocabulary being used?

Solutions:
If there [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] were problems with vocabulary I could bring some items in a box[STRIKE] IE[/STRIKE] ie a tennis ball, [STRIKE]dvd[/STRIKE] a DVD, a book, and drill the about how we use these items as a hobby.
Present simple and present continuous: I would use a timeline and explain the meaning and use some sample sentences then elicit [STRIKE]awsners[/STRIKE] answers.

Preparation and aids:
Black/white board. Markers. Flashcards(hobbies). Questions sheet. Pens.

Warmer:
Play a game of "Who Am I?" based on hobbies. Get one student to stand with their back against the white board, facing the rest of the class. Write a word relating to hobbies [STRIKE]IE[/STRIKE] ie footballer, cook on the board that they can't see, but the rest of the class can. The rest of the class must now give the student keywords/descriptions of what he/she is. Start off easy, until the students get the hang of the game, then add in some more abstract words
Review last lesson(adverbs)
S/S 8 mins

Lead-in:
Ask questions about what the students like to do in [STRIKE]thier[/STRIKE] their spare time(When? Where?) and write [STRIKE]thier[/STRIKE] their [STRIKE]awnsers[/STRIKE] answers on the board.
T/S 3 mins

Presentation:
I will use flashcards with a picture on one side and the word on the other side [STRIKE]IE [/STRIKE] ie Cook, Football, Swim, Computer games, Playing musical instruments, Internet, Read, Write, Paint.
Drill chorally(?) and individually
Elicit: "I often play .........", "She sometimes plays..........."
Flash up cards and ask for the meaning.
T/S 8 mins

Practice:
Elicit and drill new sentences using the new words and adverbs. Write an example on the board
1. I normally play football at the weekend.
2. He often plays computer games at night.
3. We sometimes cook for friends.
T/S 6 mins

Production:
I would put students into pairs with a question sheet and ask them to ask each other questions about [STRIKE]thier[/STRIKE] their hobbies and to write down the [STRIKE]awsners [/STRIKE] answers. They would then have to read out the answers

1. What is your [STRIKE]favirote[/STRIKE] favourite hobby?
2. How often do you do your hobby?
Check for understanding.
Correct any errors or mistakes
P/W S/S 8 mins

Production:
Write a full paragraph about thier own hobbies
S/s 8 mins

Set homework:
Write a full paragraph about a family member's hobby.
H/W T/S 2 mins

I'm not looking for an answer more guid[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]ance as my tutor has [STRIKE]gave[/STRIKE]given me little feedback. I would be [STRIKE]greatfull[/STRIKE] grateful. Thanks.

I was going to comment on the content and your actual lesson plans but I have just spent over ten minutes correcting the spelling, punctuation and grammar of the post.

I am somewhat perturbed by that fact especially as your profile says that you are a native English speaker from the UK. In order to teach English, you don't just need to do a TEFL, you need to have a very good basic understanding and knowledge of the English language, in both spoken and written forms.

Please look closely at all the corrections. The first few things which you desperately need to review:

- Correct spelling of "their"
- Correct spelling of "answers"
- Correct spelling of "does"
- Spacing after a full stop
- Spacing after a comma
- Capitalisation the word "I" (first person singular)
- Don't capitalise "ie" before an example

numnut

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd like to thank you for your input this was typed up quickly without thinking about it
I did not ask you to correct my mistakes

Capitalisation = Capitalization

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I did not ask you to correct my mistakes.
As hundreds of learners visit this forum every day, all of us who post here must expect our mistakes to be corrected for the beneit of others.

Capitalisation = Capitalization
If by that you mean that both spellings are possible, you are correct.
It is difficult to give the help you want, because we do not know how 'they want it'. It appears that they have provided a link for you to see a model lesson plan. Does this not help?

Personally, I would word the objective part along the lines of: (By the end of the lesson) Ss will demonstrate ability to use specified vocabulary by discussion in pairs and by writing 50 words on the topic.

However, if 'they' have a different model, this may not be satisfactory.

numnut

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Basically I need to write a lesson plan on teaching hobbies and reviewing adverbs of frequency.
I think what I've done is ok I just wanted someone to have a look at it and tell me what they think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.