Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
#1 "My English professor recommended that I better take an intensive English program in an English country in order to gain a quick improvement of English."
#1a "My English professor recommended I better take an intensive English program in an English country in order to gain a quick improvement of English."

2# "My English professor recommended me to take an intensive English program in an English country to gain a quick improvement of English."

Dear teachers,
Would you please check my sentences whether they are correct to be used, grammatical and natural?

Thanks.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Teachers, any comment please.:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
#1 "My English professor recommended that I better take an intensive English program in an English country in order to gain a quick improvement of English."
#1a "My English professor recommended I better take an intensive English program in an English country in order to gain a quick improvement of English."

2# "My English professor recommended me to take an intensive English program in an English country to gain a quick improvement of English."

Dear teachers,
Would you please check my sentences whether they are correct to be used, grammatical and natural?

Thanks.

I don't find any of your sentences natural.

I would say: "My English professor recommended that I enter an intensive English program in an English country to quickly improve my English."

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Clear. But how about grammar? Are they grammatical although they are not natural?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In 1 and 1a I'd say '...I had better...'

In both I'd say '...improvement in English'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Clear. But how about grammar? Are they grammatical although they are not natural?
We are often asked this question. I see little point in discussion of whether a construction is theoretically 'grammatical' if it is unnatural.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So 5jj, do you mean that we should focus on the naturalness more than grammar?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So 5jj, do you mean that we should focus on the naturalness more than grammar?
Yes. There is no point at all in saying/writing something that is in theory grammatically correct if it sounds unnatural to native speakers.

Some grammarians would argue that if a construction sounds unnatural to most native speakers, it cannot be grammatical.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are millions of technically grammatical sentences which no native speaker would ever naturally utter. (Sadly, the reverse isn't true!)

Status
Not open for further replies.