why do people pronounce "Mexico-Mehico"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I hear that a lot on TV. Is it from Spanish?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is the correct Spanish pronunciation.

Nicklexoxo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I'm not a native speaker nor a teacher. I'm just Spanish and English learner.
I think this word came from Spanish. In Spanish I'd pronounce it like [Méjico]. Anyway, [Mehico] sounds correct and natural. I think so, because I have never heard another way of pronunciation this word.

Nickle.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Just noticed that it is pronounced like that. But it is pronounced in dictionary as written. So what do you guys recommend would be much better to use? Mek.sɪ.kəʊ or Méjico?

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is the correct Spanish pronunciation.

What about in formal English speaking? I never heard of it in traditional English media.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What about in formal English speaking? I never heard of it in traditional English media.
Most native speakers of English pronounce the word with a /ks/ sound. Those who speak Spanish and/or have lived in a Spanish-speaking country may well use the Spanish pronunciation. I always told my learners to use /ks/ when they were speaking English.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"As written" is never a reliable concept with Roman letters, particularly if you first encounter them in English. Both X and J in Spanish are pronounced like a very strong /h/. Incidentally, Spanish boasts a 100% match between orthographies and pronunciations, meaning there are no exceptions in pronouncing Spanish based on its spelling.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Forvo.com is a great website for listening to different pronunciations. Compare its page of recorded examples of the pronunciation of "Mexico" in Spanish here with the page of examples of pronunciation of the word "Mexico" in English here.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"As written" is never a reliable concept with Roman letters, particularly if you first encounter them in English. Both X and J in Spanish are pronounced like a very strong English /h/. [As you know, Spanish /h/ is silent.] Incidentally, Spanish boasts a 100% match between orthographies and pronunciations, meaning there are no exceptions in pronouncing Spanish based on its spelling.
Spanish as a pure concept might be so, but there are a lot regional variations. 'll' (double l) is /j/ (English y) in most places, but English 'sh' in Argentina - "Sho, mi shamo Raymott". Maybe one of our Spanish speakers can think of other examples where less pure Spanish doesn't quite live up to these ideals. But I do agree that Spanish is the closest language I know of that almost achieves this ideal.

@ Nickelxoxo: To say that Mexico is pronounced Méjico or Mehico really depends on whose /j/ and /h/ you're using. (Apparently, you mean a Spanish pronunciation - Neither works in IPA for English or Spanish.) So, to tell an English audience that a Spanish 'x' is pronounced like a Spanish 'h' or 'j' here might not be that useful.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Spanish as a pure concept might be so, but there are a lot regional variations. 'll' (double l) is /j/ (English y) in most places, but English 'sh' in Argentina - "Sho, mi shamo Raymott". Maybe one of our Spanish speakers can think of other examples where less pure Spanish doesn't quite live up to these ideals. But I do agree that Spanish is the closest language I know of that almost achieves this ideal.

@ Nickelxoxo: To say that Mexico is pronounced Méjico or Mehico really depends on whose /j/ and /h/ you're using. (Apparently, you mean a Spanish pronunciation - Neither works in IPA for English or Spanish.) So, to tell an English audience that a Spanish 'x' is pronounced like a Spanish 'h' or 'j' here might not be that useful.

But for Argentinians, that sound is what the digraph formerly known as 'll' means to them, and it always does, so I would argue that each region still enjoys a one to one relationship between spelling and pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.