Need a help with Passive and Active voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I have a problem determining these sentences if they are in passive or active voice.

1. Instructions are converted to machine code by interpreters and compilers.
2. Programmers developed high-level languages specifically for the user.
3. Since the development of smaller, personal computer, gamers have been creating games and simulations with more basic codes and assembly languages.
4. Basic tasks including renaming, deleting, and backing up files can be done by utility programs.
5. Nowadays, people are using GUI and WIMP features to interact with their computers because they are much more user-friendly than command-driven interfaces.

First I have to determine if each one is passive or active voice and what verb tense is being used for each, then rewrite the sentences, if it is active, put it in passive, if passive, put it in active.

thanks in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need to determine the grammatical subject of each sentence and then decide whether the subject is the person or thing that is actually doing the action described by the verb.

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I don't know how to determine. Help me please.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This appears to be a homework assignment. I'm afraid we don't help with those. Your teacher wants to know what you can do, not what we can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Don't be afraid, it's just howework, and my teacher told that I can ask for help.Also, I study in UAE, so it's okay.

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
1. Instructions are converted to machine code by interpreters and compilers.=Passive.

2. Programmers developed high-level languages specifically for the user. = Active.

3. Since the development of smaller, personal computer, gamers have been creating games and simulations with more basic codes and assembly languages.=Passive.

4. Basic tasks including renaming, deleting, and backing up files can be done by utility programs.=Passive.

5. Nowadays, people are using GUI and WIMP features to interact with their computers because they are much more user-friendly than command-driven interfaces.=Active

Is it right?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
3 is active. Gamers have been creating games. It's not "games have been created by gamers."

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
and all others are correct right?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I will try my best and write them here again

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Don't be afraid, it's just howework, and my teacher told that I can ask for help.Also, I study in UAE, so it's okay.

Why is it OK to help you with your homework because you are studying in the UAE? Also, if you are studying in the UAE, why do you give your location as the USA?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

You are lucky that people were prepared to help despite it being homework. We are not "afraid" - we make it clear in the forum guidelines that we do not help people with their homework. We only have your word for it that your teacher said it was OK to ask for help. Every learner could tell us that. For my part, I still consider it to be unfair to have help with homework. It is important that your teacher sees what you can do on your own. He/she has no interest in what we are capable of.

I have no idea why you think it's OK to help you because you study in UAE and I have the same question as bhaisahab - your member profile says you are in the USA. Please update your profile with your true location.

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Why is it OK to help you with your homework because you are studying in the UAE? Also, if you are studying in the UAE, why do you give your location as the USA?

Because I was studying in the USA one year ago. In that moment, I registered here and put USA as my current location. Now, I am in my country completing my study. Prejudging lead to mistrust.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No-one prejudged anything. You just need to keep your profile up-to-date I still can't understand why you said that it was OK for us to help you with your homework based on the fact that you are studying in UAE. Could you explain that please, to avoid any further misunderstanding.

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
1. Instructions are converted to machine code by interpreters and compilers.=Passive.
simple present

2. Programmers developed high-level languages specifically for the user. = Active.
simple past

3. Since the development of smaller, personal computer, gamers have been creating games and simulations with more basic codes and assembly languages.=Active.
present perfect continues

4. Basic tasks including renaming, deleting, and backing up files can be done by utility programs.=Passive.
simple present

5. Nowadays, people are using GUI and WIMP features to interact with their computers because they are much more user-friendly than command-driven interfaces.=Active
present continues

Am I correct with these tenses?

SecurityLinux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates

SecurityLinux