How many English sounds do ESL teachers teach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The question is in the title - how many sounds do you introduce to your students? (I would appreciate the number and examples - the charts of English sounds that you use in teaching).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How many sounds I used actually to teach depended on the learners’ native language. With Czech speakers, for example, I would spend nearly as much time on aspirated /p/ as on most of the other phonemes together.

Much of my work on pronunciation was devoted to word and sentence stress, chunking and intonation, plus the usually small number of phonemes that the learners had difficulty with.

If you are asking about how many sounds I wanted my learners to produce as accurately as possible, the answer is the 43 phonemes here, plus non-phonemic /i/ and /u/, syllabic /l/, /m/ and /n,/, and the glottal stop. I did not worry particularly about /ʊə/, as many native speakers don’t use it. If necessary, I would work on allophones such as aspirated and unaspirated /p/ and clear and dark /l/.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If you are asking about how many sounds I wanted my learners to produce as accurately as possible, the answer is the 43 phonemes here, <...> I did not worry particularly about /ʊə/, as many native speakers don’t use it....
How then the native speakers pronounce the words sure, pure, mature, endure, our, hour etc.? :-?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sure

The Longman Pronunciation Dictionary gives /ʃɔ:/ and /ʃʊə/ for BrE, /ʃʊ[SUP]ə[/SUP]r/ and /ʃɜ: for AmE. The Cambridge English Pronunciation Dictionary gives /ʃɔ:[SUP]r[/SUP]/ and /ʃʊə[SUP]r[/SUP]/ for BrE and /ʃʊr/ for AmE.

Wells's LPD Preference Poll for BrE suggest that 46% of speakers say /ʃɔ:/ and 54% /ʃʊə/. /ʃɔ:/is becoming more common among young people.

Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sure

Wells's LPD Preference Poll for BrE suggest that 46% of speakers say /ʃɔ:/ and 54% /ʃʊə/. /ʃɔ:/is becoming more common among young people.
And pure, mature, endure? Is their pronunciation also changing?

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the way that you appeared to be asking about: /ʃɔ:/is becoming more common among young people.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oh, do the Czechs not use /p/?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They do, but it's a lenis form that sounds very much like /b/ to speakers of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.