Words ending in -u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty210

im desperately trying to help my little sister find words in U and even though iv done A level english i cant for the life of me think of words ending in the letter u. Rather random i will agree but running out of ideas!!!

Thanks,

Scott

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
I can think of "flu" (actually a contraction of "influenza" but now considered to be a real word) and "gnu". In American English "through" is sometimes contracted to "thru", but I'm not sure if that counts.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
im desperately trying to help my little sister find words in U and even though iv done A level english i cant for the life of me think of words ending in the letter u. Rather random i will agree but running out of ideas!!!

Thanks,

Scott

Here are many. Some are proper names, but most are not. They are all entries in Webster's Third Dictionary. I'll list the most common ones first.

adieu, beau, cru, eau, ecru, flu, gnu, guru, jehu, lieu, manitou, manitu, milieu, mu, nu, Peru, tau

aku, ausu, battu, batu, biacuru, bu, bussu, cachou, carajuru, cebu, lhimu, clou, ecu, feru, fou, gaspergou, gou, hu, jacu, jararacucu, khmu, kru, ku, lu, mafu, maidou, macu, maku, maniu, mi-lu, motu, mou, mru, mundurucu, nu-tzu, ombu, palau, perdu, piu, pou, pu, ringatu, sajou, shu

RobbieCook

Menu and tofu are the only ones coming to my mind (which haven't been mentioned already).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mike's got most of them, I reckon.

What about 'bureau'? (And another thing: I know the meaning 'department' works in AmE, but what about the item of furniture?)

b

Philly

Member Type
English Teacher
Things such as "travel bureau" or some sort of "governmental bureau" (FBI, for example ;-)) work in AmE, too. As for furniture, I would expect a bureau to be a chest of drawers (for clothing).

Shad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Yep, we all seem to have missed the obvious, which just proves that working professionally with languages doesn't make you very good at this sort of game. :)

As well as "you", of course, we also have the archaic singular form "thou". We also have "situ" (as in: "in situ") and also "fugu", a species of pufferfish served (illegaly in most cases) as a delicacy in Japan -- if not prepared perfectly correctly, it can be poisonous. It's also known as "takifugu".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As for furniture, I would expect a bureau to be a chest of drawers (for clothing).

Close, but no cigar ;-) In BE it's a sort of writing desk (but with drawers); a BE bureau isn't used for clothing (at least, not where I come from).

b

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mike's got most of them, I reckon.

What about 'bureau'? (And another thing: I know the meaning 'department' works in AmE, but what about the item of furniture?)

b

I'm sure I missed many. My Webster's Third allows searching on rhymes. I just chose "boo". I could have also chosen now, gnaw, know, etc, but it takes a lot of time.

In AE, a bureau is usually a chest of drawers for clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.