Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How do you pronounce it? What would you think of a person who says it Italian way?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How do you pronounce it? What would you think of a person who says it Italian way?
I'd think they were posing, unless they were Italian.
It's pronounced roughly the same, but without the consonant doubling. A normal English /r/ and /t/. And the /o/ would be a little different - a normal English /o/, which as you know changes with location.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So would it be terahcoutah?

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not very good at these phonetic alphabets, so I wasn't sure what you mean by /o/. Maybe 'ow' would be better than 'ou'. Now I get it. Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm not very good at these phonetic alphabets, so I wasn't sure what you mean by /o/. Maybe 'ow' would be better than 'ou'. Now I get it. Thank you.
Oh, you should definitely learn it. There's really no other way - unless we both know what the other means when they try to use their own idiosyncratic systems - and I think that the outcome of that has just been demonstrated.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Oh, you should definitely learn it. There's really no other way - unless we both know what the other means when they try to use their own idiosyncratic systems - and I think that the outcome of that has just been demonstrated.
I know I should. But it's not very easy for me. First of all, I use Merriam-Webster, which uses it's own signs, that don't correspond with these used anywhere else. Second of all, as I get almost the same quantity of BrE and AmE speech, it's sometimes hard to say what the sign that I see means - is it the British vowel or the American one.

texholdem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
No, it would be /’tɛɹǝ ‘kɒta/
How does 'ou' say /o/?

Nice that you post the phonetic symbols, the best way to describe how a word sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.