Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
We say Guangdong Province, without THE,

but in the New York Times, a sentence:

Four of the cities are outside the heavily industrial Guangdong Province, where all three Honda auto parts strikes have taken place.

If the existence of THE is due to the existence of an adjective, then why don't we say THE new China but simply new China?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Who says "new China?"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The name is "New China." "New" is not an adjective, but part of the proper name. That's why there is no "the" used.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
Thank you. "Proper name" is a good answer; then why don't we directly say Kuomintang but THE Kuomintang?

Apart from this, was I right in saying "We say Guangdong Province, without THE"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
With proper nouns, there are different uses of the definite article with different types of noun. We generally use the with political parties.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
wawawa.... This is exactly the answer I want to have. I've been rummaging through grammar books but failed.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
wawawa.... This is exactly the answer I want to have. I've been rummaging through grammar books but failed.

Yes.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
wawawa....

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is that supposed to mean? Is it just like "a-ha", or maybe like "at last", or maybe expressing happiness/merriment?

Thank you for your explanation to this ignorant member.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your explanation to this ignorant member.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

This ignorant member has not been able to sleep well because I have been thinking about this all night -- and day.

I have two ideas. I do not claim that either one is correct. We will not know until the thread starter answers the question.

1. Someone on the Web with the user name "Sanya" says that "wa" in Cantonese Chinese is a sign of surprise or wonder.

I then checked Google books, and it seems that "wa" in Cantonese can mean something like our Wow!

2. I also checked Google, and it seems that there's a Japanese pop(ular) song with the words "wa wa wa." It's on YouTube.

I hope that the thread starter answers us. I'm a very old man who needs his sleep!

James

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan

Hello,

This ignorant member has not been able to sleep well because I have been thinking about this all night -- and day.

I have two ideas. I do not claim that either one is correct. We will not know until the thread starter answers the question.

1. Someone on the Web with the user name "Sanya" says that "wa" in Cantonese Chinese is a sign of surprise or wonder.

I then checked Google books, and it seems that "wa" in Cantonese can mean something like our Wow!

2. I also checked Google, and it seems that there's a Japanese pop(ular) song with the words "wa wa wa." It's on YouTube.

I hope that the thread starter answers us. I'm a very old man who needs his sleep!

James

Sorry. I didn't know you would be so interested in knowing.

wawawa I believe is not English. When I, as a south Chinese, want to express surprise or wonder, as you've correctly said, I will use wa. My mother tongue is Cantonese, and this is exactly the native language of Hong Kong.

Sometimes I find that the sounds of my mother tongue is more expressive and I will blend some of them into my answers in foreign forums; but I believe this is not my partial opinion: my mother tongue has the most complicated pronunciation system among all the regional languages (NOT dialect) in China.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hello,

1. Thank you for the answer. Now I can get some sleep tonight.

2. Thank you, too, for reminding me to call Cantonese a "regional language." I will be sure not to offend

Cantonese speakers by using the word "dialect."

James

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
An important problem related to this thread.

If THE should be used for a proper noun when there is an adjective, then why is THE not used here:

"I suppose they do," said practical Jose, who never[....]

This is from "the Garden Party", by Mansfield.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If THE should be used for a proper noun when there is an adjective, then why is THE not used here:

"I suppose they do," said practical Jose, who never[....]

1. You were nice enough to explain "wa wa wa"; so let me reciprocate by sharing something that I found in a big fat grammar book * used by many teachers throughout the world.

2. The four scholars wrote (The boldface type is my idea):

"Nonrestrictive premodifiers are limited to adjectives with emotive colouring."

They then give examples such as:

old Mrs. Fletcher
poor Charles

3. The four scholars continue:

"In a more formal and rather stereotyped style, the adjective is placed between the and a personal name:

the beautiful Princess Diana [Princess Diana, who is beautiful']
the inimitable Henry Higgins ['Henry Higgens, who is inimitable'] "

4. I think that "practical" is certainly an adjective with emotive coloring.

5. Ms. Mansfield was a professional writer. A professional writer can write any way s/he wishes. That is called style.

a. Perhaps Ms. Mansfield felt that "said the practical Jose" would have been too "formal."

James

* A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (1985 edition) by Professors Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech, and Svartvik, page 280.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan

1. You were nice enough to explain "wa wa wa"; so let me reciprocate by sharing something that I found in a big fat grammar book * used by many teachers throughout the world.

2. The four scholars wrote (The boldface type is my idea):

"Nonrestrictive premodifiers are limited to adjectives with emotive colouring."

They then give examples such as:

old Mrs. Fletcher
poor Charles

3. The four scholars continue:

"In a more formal and rather stereotyped style, the adjective is placed between the and a personal name:

the beautiful Princess Diana [Princess Diana, who is beautiful']
the inimitable Henry Higgins ['Henry Higgens, who is inimitable'] "

4. I think that "practical" is certainly an adjective with emotive coloring.

5. Ms. Mansfield was a professional writer. A professional writer can write any way s/he wishes. That is called style.

a. Perhaps Ms. Mansfield felt that "said the practical Jose" would have been too "formal."

James

* A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (1985 edition) by Professors Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech, and Svartvik, page 280.

Thank you very much. I love the red sentence. Citation is the beauty of grammar explanation.

rou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am not the original poster (OP) but I am Chinese and I suppose the OP is too. I'd bet $100 in any currency that by "wawawa" he/she meant something like "wow wow wow". There, sweet dreams to ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.