[General] stable/staple, same pronunciation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The pronunciation matches the spelling. The only difference in pronunciation is between the "p" and the "b" in the middle of the word. Apart from that different sound in the middle, the words would be pronounced identically.

If you click the staple link and its pronunciation box, you will hear p sound changed to b sound. Is that because of something similar to 'speak pronounced as sbeak' in this case?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you click the staple link and its pronunciation box, you will hear p sound changed to b sound. Is that because of something similar to 'speak pronounced as sbeak' in this case?

The pronunciations you linked to do not sound the same. Admittedly, the difference between the "p" and the "b" is very slight (I personally don't think that the recording of the word "stable" is very good!), but they are different.

The "p" should not sound like a "b" as it does in "speak" as you correctly identified. Nor should the "b" sound like a "p".

Stable and staple should be easily differentiated when spoken.

LiuJing

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The pronunciations you linked to do not sound the same. Admittedly, the difference between the "p" and the "b" is very slight (I personally don't think that the recording of the word "stable" is very good!), but they are different.

The "p" should not sound like a "b" as it does in "speak" as you correctly identified. Nor should the "b" sound like a "p".

Stable and staple should be easily differentiated when spoken.

You are right. I was misled by the initial link. I have found another link that pronounces staple's p as the original sound [p]. Thank you.
staple?????_??_???????

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are right. I was misled by the initial link. I have found another link that pronounces staple's p as the original sound [p]. Thank you.
staple?????_??_???????

Those are much better pronunciations of staple. I still think the pronunciation of "stable" was quite poor on the original link.

Status
Not open for further replies.