There is a table and a chair in the living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
As nobody has replied to my question, I thought that perhaps it's best to start my own thread. Admittedly, I did hijack the other thread for my own purposes.

I have that book by Martin Hewings, but I can honestly tell you that Mr Hewings will even say THERE IS A TABLE AND A CHAIR is standard English.

I haven't a copy of Advanced Grammar in Use to hand, but I would be surprised if Hewings said that that was standard English.

I do not understand why nelson13, 5jj and bhaisahab (who liked 5jj's post) object to this construction. I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

What is wrong with 'There is a table and a chair in the living room'? The verb agrees with its nearest complement, so why is this sentence problematic?

And why then do we say:
There is a chair and a table in this room NOT There are a chair and a table in this room?

[...]

there is / there are

In your example of there is, Tanya, it is as if the items are being counted separately:
There’s a chair and there’s a table in the room SO there’s a chair and table in the room.

But note:
There are three chairs and a table in the room.
There’s a table and three chairs in the room.

Learning English | BBC World Service

Normally, the verb agrees with its nearest complement.

'There is an apple and three pears in the fruit bowl.'

Anyone care to comment?

Thank you in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I do not understand why nelson13, 5jj and bhaisahab (who liked 5jj's post) object to this construction.
I don't object to the construction. I merely said that I would be surprised if this sentence, as it stands were considered standard English.
What is wrong with 'There is a table and a chair in the living room'? The verb agrees with its nearest complement, so why is this sentence problematic?
That is not the sentence I was talking about.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
That is not the sentence I was talking about.

I see. OK, you were talking about 'There is a table and a chair.' As nelson13 chose to capitalise all the letters, I thought that he objected to the fragment with regard to the verb form (the subject matter of the thread).

I've taken a quick look at the relevant pages in Advanced Grammar in Use (second edition) and this sentence is nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.