Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
Hello, I often used this page to find valuable information, but this is my first question here.
Please let me know whether there is a difference between
"measured in direction A and D" vs. "measured in directions A and D" or which is wrong.

Background: Three different measurements had been performed. Each of the measurements was simultaneously performed by five sensors in 5 directions: Direction A, B, C, D and E. However, a chart in the document shows only results for "direction A and D" (or "directions A and D" ?).

My feeling tells me that direction should be singular, because I could also say "direction A and direction D". (But there is no space to write it.)

Google shows more hits for singular: "direction 1 and 2."
I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If the chart shows direction A and direction D i.e. 2 directions, you will need the plural form of the noun: directions

Nirak

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Japan
If the chart shows direction A and direction D i.e. 2 directions, you will need the plural form of the noun: directions

Thank you very much for the fast reply.
However, your answer makes me wonder why there are 2.6 million hits in Google for "direction 1 and 2" vs. only 690 thousand hits for "directions 1 and 2".
- Is there a difference? Or are the singular hits all wrong?

If I hear "directions A and D", I imagine that there are multiple A-directions (parallel, multiple sensors) and also D-directions. Isn't the singular form a short version of "direction A and direction D"?

Status
Not open for further replies.