Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar-reference/relative-clauses-non-defining-relative-clauses

Relative clauses - non-defining relative clauses
Relative clauses add extra information to a sentence by defining a noun. They are usually divided into two types – defining relative clauses and non-defining relative clauses.

Non-defining relative clauses

Look at this sentence.

• My grandfather, who is 87, goes swimming every day.

‘who is 87’ is a non-defining relative clause. It adds extra information to the sentence. If we take the clause out of the sentence, the sentence still has the same meaning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does “If we take the clause out of the sentence” in the above context mean?

Do the following sentences have a difference?

1. I went to visit my uncle , who lives in Thailand.
2. I went to visit my uncle who lives in Thailand.

Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
yes- the first just gives us additional information about your uncle, so you only have one uncle. The second tells us which uncle you visited- you have more than one uncle, but only one lives in Thailand.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
yes- the first just gives us additional information about your uncle, so you only have one uncle. The second tells us which uncle you visited- you have more than one uncle, but only one lives in Thailand.

As with the problem we dealt with a couple of days ago, I don't think the non-defining clause necessarily limits the number of uncles.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As with the problem we dealt with a couple of days ago, I don't think the non-defining clause necessarily limits the number of uncles.
It certainly limits us to the one we know about.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
deleted

Last edited:
Status