Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
UK
Current Location
India
It is always been tough to define the idioms for me, but finally I have just write a definition of idioms, hope everybody will like it.

An idiom is the compact group of words that has a metaphorical meaning, basically because of its frequent usage.

An idiom's symbolic sense is quite different from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made. There are a large number of Idioms and they used very commonly in all languages. There are approximately at least 25,000 idiomatic expressions in the English language.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Standard dictionary definitions, such as this one, work better for me.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is always been tough to define the idioms for me, but finally I have just write a definition of idioms, hope everybody will like it.

An idiom is the compact group of words that has a metaphorical meaning, basically because of its frequent usage.

An idiom's symbolic sense is quite different from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made. There are a large number of Idioms and they used very commonly in all languages. There are approximately at least 25,000 idiomatic expressions in the English language.

To say that idioms are metaphorical is quite wrong. Metaphors depend on similarity. Even if you have never before heard a metaphor you can guess what it means because of similarity, and the discovery can be surprising and delightful.

Idioms, on the other hand, are impenetrable. You either know what they mean or you don't. Guessing is impossible. Here are a few idioms which I defy anyone to guess the meaning of. Either you know or you don't.

1. Let's talk turkey.
2. Your choice is Hobson's choice.
3. Don't buy a pig in a poke.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
UK
Current Location
India
To say that idioms are metaphorical is quite wrong. Metaphors depend on similarity. Even if you have never before heard a metaphor you can guess what it means because of similarity, and the discovery can be surprising and delightful.

Idioms, on the other hand, are impenetrable. You either know what they mean or you don't. Guessing is impossible. Here are a few idioms which I defy anyone to guess the meaning of. Either you know or you don't.

1. Let's talk turkey.
2. Your choice is Hobson's choice.
3. Don't buy a pig in a poke.

I agree with your this idea, but I would rather add that metaphorical is not quite wrong, but might be wrong in case of some idioms. I also heard few phrases that nothing similar with their meaning. Just to make everyone understand the basic definition of idioms, I posted that.

Status
Not open for further replies.