Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Remember that most sales are transfers as a going concern and no VAT is payable anyway. In those situations you do not need to worry about ...'

In the past, I would have corrected to 'these' but I'm starting to think that maybe I overmark when I proofread legal documents. What do you think? Thanks.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
My problem with that sentence is more fundamental: I'm having trouble understanding what "those/these situations" are exactly. What does "as a going concern" mean?

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I believe either could work. 'These' sounds smoother to me, however, I guess I'd say 'those' if I felt a bit uncomfortable with the situation [given the context].

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does "as a going concern" mean?

'a going concern' = a functioing business
'transfers [of a business] as a going concern' = transferring ownership of a functioning business

Never seen it before? Nor had I until I started working!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think 'those' sounds fine here. Actually I find it more natural than 'these'.

Interesting. I prefer 'these' as a determiner where it relates to a preceding sentence because there is 'no distance' ('these here'/'those there') but, you know, if you prefer 'those', maybe others do too. And so, my conclusion for now is: it doesn't matter which you use here. Thanks.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Swan's PEU says:
'this (these)', 'that (those)', and 'it (they)' can all be used to refer back to things or situations that have just been talked or written about. 'it/they' does not give any special emphasis.

this (these) and that (those) are more emphatic; they shine a light, so to speak, on the things or situations, suggesting an interesting new fact has been mentioned.

This/these is preferred when there is more to say about the new subject of discussion.

I prefer 'these'.

EnglishMuffin

Member Type
English Teacher
I just realised why I prefer 'those':

The metaphorical distance that 'those' implies makes it sound like you are talking about what would happen in the event that..
Whereas 'these' sounds like the conditions have already been met to create this circumstance and this is what you now have to do.

I hope that makes sense. I know what I mean but found it hard to express.

:roll:

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just realised why I prefer 'those':

The metaphorical distance that 'those' implies makes it sound like you are talking about what would happen in the event that..
Whereas 'these' sounds like the conditions have already been met to create this circumstance and this is what you now have to do.

I hope that makes sense. I know what I mean but found it hard to express.

:roll:
Hmm, that sounds to me like you're saying you'd prefer 'In those situations' in conditional/hypothetical structures. I'm not convinced and in any case, in the context given, the 'situations' are very much in existence. That said, I'm not convinced 'those' is wrong, so henceforth :)shock:, did I write that? Too many years as a legal proofreader!) I will accept either, unless the context suggests otherwise (got to cover all angles, you know, in this profession!).

Status
Not open for further replies.