Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My grammar books says the difference between "present tense" and "present progressive" is like the following. I think the limit of time to choose either of the two is quite subjective. What do you think is the standard to choose either of them? Depending on your judgment, "Six months" or "two years" can be "is teaching".

1. She is a teacher. She teaches music. - considerable time, permanently
2. This year she is teaching second-graders. - recently, temporarily

haseli22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
One difference between simple present and present progressive is that for permanent states and conditions we use pimple present and for temporary ones present progressive is used. Consider the following examples:

1) I work for a bank. (=It's my permanent job and my job may continue till retirement.)
2) I'm working for a company. (It's a temporary job and may finish in near future.)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And how about "I study/I'm studying at university"? Is it emporary if it's going to take, say, five years? I think this depends on how the person himself views it, right?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes, this is what I wanted to have answered. "Permanency" or "temporary" all seem to be subjective or relative, I guess. What do you think?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, this is what I wanted to have answered. "Permanency" or "temporary" all seem to be subjective or relative, I guess. What do you think?
Yes they are.
The difference could be something as simple as the question asked.
"Where do you work?"; "I work at a bank."
"Where are you working?"; "I'm working at a bank."

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes they are.
The difference could be something as simple as the question asked.
"Where do you work?"; "I work at a bank."
"Where are you working?"; "I'm working at a bank."

So the person whom you ask these questions won't feel offended if you ask him "Where are you working?" which implies that he is not going to work there long? Or "where are you living?" with the same connotation? Should one use the Present Continuous in questions like the ones above ONLY if one already knows that the person whom these questiona are addessed often changes jobs or moves places? Will it be allright to ask your new acquaintance "Where are you working?" or would it sound odd?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So the person whom you ask these questions won't feel offended if you ask him "Where are you working?" which implies that he is not going to work there long? Or "where are you living?" with the same connotation? Should one use the Present Continuous in questions like the ones above ONLY if one already knows that the person whom these questiona are addessed often changes jobs or moves places? Will it be allright to ask your new acquaintance "Where are you working?" or would it sound odd?
"Where are you working?" would not sound odd to me. But there are other considerations that would determine why the question is phrased this way - so that just pushes the original problem back a step.

Status
Not open for further replies.