Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is this promptness "punctuality" or "instantaneous or immediate"? In this case, why can't precision be an answer?
What is the exact difference between "precision" and "promptness"? I guess precision is for numerical or engineering meanings, while promptness for time-wise things.

Choose the right answer
ex) Some people tend to be late as a general rule, whether they are busy or not. To stop being late, all one has to do is change the motivation by deciding that in all circumstances being on time is going to have first priority over any other consideration. Presto! You will never have to run for a plane or miss an appointment again. As a lifelong latecomer, that is how I cured myself. Having made the decision that (promptness) was now of major importance, I found that answers came automatically to such questions as “Can I squeeze in one more errand before the dentist?” or “Do I have to leave for the airport now?” The answers are always no, and yes. Choosing to be on time will make your life enormously easier, and that of your family, friends, and colleagues as well.
1)harmony 2)precision 3)promptness 4)consistency 5)thriftiness

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Punctuality.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Punctuality.

But the dictionary says like this.
adjective)prompt - immediate, puntuality
noun)promptness - immediacy

When it's used as a noun, does it have only the meaning of immediacy? Or in reality, does it also have both meanings as the adjective?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what the dictionary says. I think "punctuality" is a better word here, but it didn't faze me as a native to use "prompt" to mean "punctual."

We wouldn't use "precision" like that. She might be precisely on time for an appointment, but I wouldn't say she was "precise."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But the dictionary says like this.
adjective)prompt - immediate, puntuality

Which dictionary says that punctuality is an adjective (and spells it wrong)?

Rover

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Which dictionary says that punctuality is an adjective (and spells it wrong)?

Rover

adjective)prompt - immediate, punctual
I typed wrong hurriedly doing it, but anyway you also agree promptness in this context means punctuality, right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
adjective)prompt - immediate, punctual
I typed wrong hurriedly doing it, but anyway you also agree promptness in this context means punctuality, right?
You should still quote your source, even if there is no argument. There's no such thing as "the dictionary", unless one has already been defined.

I agree that "punctuality" is a much better choice than those you've been given but, of that five, "promptness" is the only correct choice.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Just a quick comment on the term "precision" from the OP.

In terms of target practice, the ultimate aim is precision and accuracy .
The aim of precision (per se) is to consistently get all the bullets etc through the same hole. Getting that hole to match up with the centre of the target is accuracy!

The same principle effectively applies to timeliness. You may be there at precisely 2pm, but the appointment might have actually been arranged for 1pm!

Regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.