Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How is it correct to ask about the number of such nouns as clothes or furniture? As they are uncountables is it appropriate to use 'much'? Or is it better to use the word "item"? Like "How many items of clothes have you taken?"
Thank you)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How is it correct to ask about the number of such nouns as clothes or furniture? As they are uncountables is it appropriate to use 'much'? Or is it better to use the word "item"? Like "How many items of clothes have you taken?"
Thank you)

Good question. I would be inclined to say "how many clothes" if I had to use "clothes", but I would prefer to say, "how much clothing....." and "how much furniture".

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good question. I would be inclined to say "how many clothes" if I had to use "clothes", but I would prefer to say, "how much clothing....." and "how much furniture".

I completely agree, but I can't come up with a good linguistic explanation for why! Anyone? (Must have something to do with 'deep structure', right...?!?)

irene_myself

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Irene, instead of sending your thanks in a separate message, just click the Like button please.

The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Thank you. (Please note that 'Thank you' should be followed by a full stop – not a bracket.)

Rover​

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I completely agree, but I can't come up with a good linguistic explanation for why! Anyone?
Most uncountable nouns function as singular abstracts, liquids, materials, etc, even though the thing(s) they denote may comprise more than one object. Furniture is one such word. How much furniture was destroyed in the fire?

The are a few plural uncountable nouns, such groceries , odds (chances), congratulations, etc. How many clothes were destroyed in the fire?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Bear in mind that in casual speech most people say 'clothes' like 'close'.

I was greatly amused recently at a newspaper feature where people write in with amusing things little children say.

A mother told her two pre-school daughters to put their clothes on and come down for breakfast.

Shortly after, the older child came down and said 'I put all my clothes on, mummy, but Debbie's only put one clo on.'

Rover

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Bear in mind that in casual speech most people say 'clothes' like 'close'.
Rover

I think you mean this /kloʊz/not /kloʊs/, don’t you?

Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, like "close the door," and not like "that was a close call."