[Idiom] rose is a rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatavarthyprasanth

Member Type
Interested in Language
Hi friends, I need your assistance. One day my friend went to his boss and submitted the task he has been given. Looking at the document, his boss said like this " rose is a rose whatever the name you call it as" . Since then he has been trying to understand it. Pleae help me so that I can help my friend.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi friends, I need your assistance. One day my friend went to his boss and submitted the task he has been given. Looking at the document, his boss said like this " rose is a rose whatever the name you call it as" . Since then he has been trying to understand it. Pleae help me so that I can help my friend.

He meant that it was what it was, regardless of fancy words. Shakespeare (R&J) said 'What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.' People often partially quote this, with no verb: 'a rose by any other name...', with the result that the bit of the quote with the verb in it gets forgotten - as I may have done: what I remembered as 'would smell as sweet' might be 'smells yet as sweet' - I'm sure of smell and sweet, but what links them is a question for Wikipedia. ;-)

b

PS So the document was probably trying to give the impression that something was not what it was (or maybe the document was analysing something else and saying 'this is what it really means.')

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.