Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
1) Uncle Willy will wear a green necktie before he goes to his job.
2) Tom will cut the wood with a saw because he needs it necessarily.
3) Ahmed will slip and fall over the mud if he runs near it.
4) After he gives his friend an invitation, Tom will visit him tomorrow evening.
5) Tom will run after any thief who thieves something from him.
6) Molly will vacuum the room because she promised yesterday to do that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) Uncle Willy will wear a green necktie before* he goes to [STRIKE]his job[/STRIKE] work.
*I don't understand why he would wear a green tie before he goes to work. If he is actually going to wear it at work, then you would say "...when he goes to work".

2) Tom will cut the wood with a saw because he needs it (what does he need? The wood or the saw?) [STRIKE]necessarily[/STRIKE].
Saying "needs" and "necessarily" is tautology.

3) Ahmed will slip and fall over in the mud if he runs [STRIKE]near[/STRIKE] in it.
You don't "fall over" mud. You would "slip over" or "fall over" in the mud.

4) After he gives his friend an invitation, Tom will visit him tomorrow evening.
This doesn't make sense. In the first half of the sentence, I take "he" to mean Tom. If Tom has invited his friend somewhere, why does Tom then visit his friend?

5) Tom will run after any thief who [STRIKE]thieves[/STRIKE] steals something from him.
Although "to thieve" is a verb, we don't use it very often. It's better to use "to steal".

6) Molly will vacuum the room because she promised yesterday [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] that she would do [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] it.

See above.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
2) Tom will cut the wood with a saw because he needs it (what does he need? The wood or the saw?) necessarily. --- The wood

This doesn't make sense. In the first half of the sentence, I take "he" to mean Tom. If Tom has invited his friend somewhere, why does Tom then visit his friend? --- After he gives his friend an invitation, Tom will attend to him tomorrow evening.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You can also say 'Uncle Willy will put on a green necktie before he goes to work.'
Put on
- Get fat (In North America, we would say 'put on weight'.)
- Deceive, lie
- Start wearing

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
2) Tom will cut the wood with a saw because he needs it (what does he need? The wood or the saw?) necessarily. --- The wood

This doesn't make sense. In the first half of the sentence, I take "he" to mean Tom. If Tom has invited his friend somewhere, why does Tom then visit his friend? --- After he gives his friend an invitation, Tom will attend to him tomorrow evening.

2) Tom needs wood and he will cut it with a saw.

4) I still don't understand. If Tom has given his friend an invitation, then it would make more sense if the friend came to visit Tom, not the other way round. What did Tom invite his friend to?

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
2) Tom needs wood and he will cut it with a saw.

4) I still don't understand. If Tom has given his friend an invitation, then it would make more sense if the friend came to visit Tom, not the other way round. What did Tom invite his friend to?
This will be the best.

Tom will attend to his friend tomorrow evening after he was given an invitation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This will be the best.

Tom will attend to his friend tomorrow evening after he was given an invitation.

1) The "invitation" part now makes more sense because it appears that Tom is the one who has been given the invitation.

2) We don't use "attend to" like this. "Attend to" means to serve, to wait upon, to fuss around, to do things for. I think you mean "to visit".

Tom will visit his friend tomorrow evening, after he was given an invitation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) Uncle Willy will wear a green necktie before he goes to work
2) Tom will cut the wood with a saw because he needs it .
3) Ahmed will slip and fall over in the mud if he runs in it.
(You better think about a better sentence.)
5) Tom will run after any thief who steals something from him.
6) Molly will vacuum the room because she promised yesterday do it.

Raha, may I ask if you read the other replies before you posted this?

Also, why do you have your posts set to "Align Right" (what I mean is that your sentences start halfway across the screen and end at the right margin).

I realise that your native language is Hebrew, which is written from right to left, but on this forum, please make sure that you click on the "Align Left" button (next to the Bold, Italic and Underline boxes) before posting.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.