[Grammar] Can anyone please answer my question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Premodification of comparatives
7.89 Adjectives and 'adverbs in the absolute degree can be premodified by
intensifiers like very, quite, so, etc

Comparatives of both adjectives and adverbs, whether inflected or
periphrastic, can be premodified by amplifiers, such as much or very much.

Much can be premodified by so, very, and that:
so very much easier

Premodification of superlatives

The nonperiphrastic superlative may be premodified by the intensifier very:
They arrived only at the very last moment.
She put on her very best dress.

When very premodifies the superlative, a determiner is obligatory.
Anna is the very youngest. :tick:
Anny is youngest. :tick:
Anny is very youngest. :cross:

The periphrastic superlative is not premodified by the intensifier very (*the
very most successful candidate) but by other expressions, eg:
the most successful candidate of all
the most remarkable election ever
by far the best solution
far (and away) the best solution
When very premodifies the superlative, a determiner is obligatory.

Quirk et. al., 1985, p.474.

This is also interesting:

He is very much an Englishman (= very English) :tick:
He is very English. :tick:
He is very much English. :cross:
?They are very much Englishmen

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was interested to read an earlier comment, ' "How much beautiful is she" may be grammatically correct', as it is not acceptable in my dialect, either.
In which dialects and/or contexts might it be acceptable?

Not breaching certain rules of grammar is not the only test to apply to see if something works or not IMO.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Not breaching certain rules of grammar is not the only test to apply to see if something works or not IMO.

Actually, "very much beautiful" breaches the rule of English grammar (as others failed to do so, I provided reference to the rule in my previous posts).
What other factors should be involved? Sociolinguistics?

Johnson_F

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[FONT=&quot]Sorry, but I am not clear about what some people are saying.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]I think that most people are saying that “how much beautiful” is incorrect (see the end of this message).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, bhaisahab seemed to imply differently in the first part of the following, and then say the opposite in the second: “ "How much beautiful is she" may be grammatically correct but a native English speaker would never say or write it, (except of course to point out that it's incorrect, as I have just done). “[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When I asked in which dialects it might be acceptable Tdol replied, “Not breaching certain rules of grammar is not the only test to apply to see if something works or not IMO.” I am not sure whether or not he was implying that it might be acceptable. If it is, I would be interested to know where.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bhaisahab: How much is she beautiful? ... non-standard English, (I would say incorrect English).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Corum: He is very much beautiful. …This is not standard English[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lauralie2: They are unacceptable in my dialect of English.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Me: … they are not correct English.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Raymott "How much beautiful is she" is not standard English,[/FONT]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
[FONT=&quot]Sorry, but I am not clear about what some people are saying.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]I think that most people are saying that “how much beautiful” is incorrect (see the end of this message).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, bhaisahab seemed to imply differently in the first part of the following, and then say the opposite in the second: “ "How much beautiful is she" may be grammatically correct but a native English speaker would never say or write it, (except of course to point out that it's incorrect, as I have just done). “[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When I asked in which dialects it might be acceptable Tdol replied, “Not breaching certain rules of grammar is not the only test to apply to see if something works or not IMO.” I am not sure whether or not he was implying that it might be acceptable. If it is, I would be interested to know where.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bhaisahab: How much is she beautiful? ... non-standard English, (I would say incorrect English).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Corum: He is very much beautiful. …This is not standard English[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lauralie2: They are unacceptable in my dialect of English.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Me: … they are not correct English.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Raymott "How much beautiful is she" is not standard English,[/FONT]
It looks like a consensus to me.
Bhai and Tdol have claimed that it might be grammatical, but both say, in effect, that being grammatical doesn't make it correct English. I agree with that; but I'm not convinced it's grammatical (syntactically correct).
Are you having trouble with something being grammatical but "not proper English"?

Johnson_F

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you having trouble with something being grammatical but "not proper English"?
Not really. I am having trouble with the idea that 'how much beautiful' is grammatically correct. I have always considered it to be grammatically incorrect; it seems that you have doubts about this too. I have, in addition, never heard it from native speakers. So, I have two points, I suppose:

1. What justification is there for considering it to be grammatically correct, when the books I have read consider it incorrect? I am fully prepared to be told that it is my books that are incorrect, but I am interested to know where the opposing view can be found.

2. Regardless of whether it is correct or not, I would be interested to learn of dialects in which it is used.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Not really. I am having trouble with the idea that 'how much beautiful' is grammatically correct. I have always considered it to be grammatically incorrect; it seems that you have doubts about this too. I have, in addition, never heard it from native speakers. So, I have two points, I suppose:

1. What justification is there for considering it to be grammatically correct, when the books I have read consider it incorrect? I am fully prepared to be told that it is my books that are incorrect, but I am interested to know where the opposing view can be found.

2. Regardless of whether it is correct or not, I would be interested to learn of dialects in which it is used.
It's possible to construct many perfectly grammatical but meaningless sentences that nobody would ever say.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He is very much rich.
or
He is very much richer.

Both are feasible, if the first is a tad constrained.

First is wrong.

First is wrong.

Johnson_F

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's possible to construct many perfectly grammatical but meaningless sentences that nobody would ever say.
As in 'Colourless green ideas sleep furiously." Quite. I fully accept this. I just find it hard to accept that 'how much beautiful is she' may be grammatically correct (your words).Is this your personal opinion, or is it a well-known view? If the latter, could you please let me know where I can read about it, as I am very interested in learning more.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As in 'Colourless green ideas sleep furiously." Quite. I fully accept this. I just find it hard to accept that 'how much beautiful is she' may be grammatically correct (your words).Is this your personal opinion, or is it a well-known view? If the latter, could you please let me know where I can read about it, as I am very interested in learning more.
I am simply saying that amongst all the recognised dialects of English there may be one in which "how much beautiful is she" is acceptable. I have become convinced that is unwise to say "never" in connection with what is, or is not, acceptable in English. It is, however, important to point out as I did that you consider something to be non-standard or incorrect.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

First is wrong.

No, these sentences are quoted from Qiurk et. al. Only the last one is wrong.

He is very much rich.
or
He is very much richer.

Both are feasible, if the first is a tad constrained.

Yes, and I have already explained why. Do you follow this thread? :)

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...e-please-answer-my-question-3.html#post686989

He is very much rich. :cross:

I think the OPs question has been fully covered and that we should put this matter to rest rather than run around in circles.

37.gif
:up:

You have shut down the following thread:
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/136298-plus-conjuction-prep.html

but you have not shut down this. Very interesting!

Last edited:

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

can anyone please answer the question below.

Which one is correct?

How beautiful is she?

or

How much beautiful is she?

or

How young are you?
How much young are you?

Thanks in advance

The first in each case. The positive form of an adjective cannot be modified by 'how much'.

Comparatives, on the other hand, can be:

How much more beautiful was she than you?
How much younger are you than your brother?

etc.

N.B. The above restriction, concerning specifically the interrogative adverb phrase 'how much', applies even in cases where the simple adverb 'much' may be acceptable as a modifier. Thus, although we may not, in contemporary standard usage, have

*How much surprised were you?

(at best, an archaism)

we can still have, albeit in very formal usage,

I was much surprised to learn of his treachery.

(= more natural very surprised...)

Note, however, that the use of 'much' as a modifier of positive adjectives is essentially restricted to deverbal -ed forms.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thank you for the confirmation, Philo!

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Quirk et. al.:
Whereas gradable adjectives and adverbs are intensified by very: verbs are intensified by other intensifying adverbs such as much and well, which themselves are often premodified by very, eg: very much, very well.

I was much surprised to learn of his treachery.
(= more natural very surprised...)

Note, however, that the use of 'much' as a modifier of positive adjectives is essentially restricted to deverbal -ed forms.

If I put these two ideas together, I can't help jumping to the conclusion that "surprised" has verbal force more than adjectival. But then, after a little pause for thought:

He was surprised and sad. :tick: -- conjoined adjectives.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Quirk et. al.:

If I put these two ideas together, I can't help jumping to the conclusion that "surprised" has verbal force more than adjectival. But then, after a little pause for thought:

Hello
Would any one please edit the passage I sent a couple of days ago? It's very vital for me.

Thanks in advance

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Quirk et. al.:

Naturally all deverbal -ing and -ed adjectives, by virtue of their origin, may seem to have a verbal force. The simplest, and generally best accepted, test is to see whether they can, in context, be modified by 'very'.

Structurally "hybrid" cases, however, are not unknown, e.g. 'surprised' in

He was very surprised by the news.

- seemingly indeterminate between adjective (on account of its premodifier) and verb (on account of the postmodifying prep.phr., normally characterstic of a passive VP).

Of course, 'at' could acceptably replace 'by' here, resolving the issue on a superficial level, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.