Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

Today I have heard a offensive phrasal verb: On person said "Sorry, guys. I really f*cked up it". I have never heard this phrase. I know the meaning of the words. But I didn't understand his phrase and therefore I didn't know how to react. Are there other phrasal verb like this? Or is not a phrasal verb?

Thanks in advance.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Language! ;-)
Right, that person definitely knows how to sound offensive, but they don't seem to know anything about proper grammar. You always put a pronoun between the verb and the particle, so you get f**k it up, not f**k up it. As for the meaning - it's like saying that you did something badly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would go further than just "did something badly".

"I f*cked it up/I scr*wed it up" are ruder/more offensive versions of "I messed it up". It's more like "I really messed it up, probably beyond any chance of recovery!"

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I would go further than just "did something badly".
Oh yes, I meant to add that it's a very strong, or emphatic, way of saying that someone did something badly, but I just forgot :cry:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you do use this verb, please get the word order right with a pronoun- the way the speaker said it would sound really weird. :shocked!:

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It was my mistake. I wrote pretty quickly. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Language! ;-)
Right, that person definitely knows how to sound offensive, but they don't seem to know anything about proper grammar. You always put a pronoun between the verb and the particle, so you get f**k it up, not f**k up it. As for the meaning - it's like saying that you did something badly.
You are correct, if you use a pronoun. The expression is possible, though less common, without. You could just say, I f**ked up".

For the (1939-45) war generation of men and women in the armed services, there was an acronym SNAFU: situation normal - all f**ked up.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For the (1939-45) war generation of men and women in the armed services, there was an acronym SNAFU: situation normal - all f**ked up.

And for the 1980s generation of filmgoers, I believe it was Lethal Weapon which used the acronym "FUBAR" (pronouced Foobar) - f*cked up beyond all recognition.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
And for the 1980s generation of filmgoers, I believe it was Lethal Weapon which used the acronym "FUBAR" (pronouced Foobar) - f*cked up beyond all recognition.

An acronym I have frequently seen used in connection with the current UK govenment. (Just saying ;-)°

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An acronym I have frequently seen used in connection with the current UK govenment. (Just saying ;-)°

Oh, that's a polite phrase (and an understatement) for the state of current administration!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Today I have heard a offensive phrasal verb: On person said "Sorry, guys. I really f*cked up it". I have never heard this phrase. I know the meaning of the words. But I didn't understand his phrase and therefore I didn't know how to react. Are there other phrasal verb like this? Or is not a phrasal verb?

Thanks in advance.

The expression, stated correctly, is very common in the US. It is so common that it has lost much of its sting. Yet, I would still be careful where and with whom you use it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The military has been using FUBAR and SNAFU much longer than Lethal Weapon.

Situation normal, all effed up.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The military has been using FUBAR and SNAFU much longer than Lethal Weapon.

Situation normal, all effed up.

Oh, I'm sure that's the case but Lethal Weapon was the first time I ever heard FUBAR. I don't have much contact with the military, thankfully!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it time to close this thread before we veer too far away from the original question?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status