Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Even you should do it." "Only you can do it."

Here in the sentences, Even and Only modify you respectively? Thank you so much as usual and have a good day.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
QUOTE=sky3120;933671]"Even you should do it." "Only you can do it."

Here in the sentences, Even and Only modify you respectively? Thank you so much as usual and have a good day.[/QUOTE]

No! They are adverbs, and, as such, cannot, by definition, modify pronouns.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you and then what does it function in the sentence and what does it modify what? Thank you so much.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Even you should do it." "Only you can do it."

Here in the sentences, Even and Only modify you respectively? Thank you so much as usual and have a good day.

Only is an adjective as well:
a : alone in a class or category : sole <the only one left><the only known species>

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No! They are adverbs, and, as such, cannot, by definition, modify pronouns.
What is the function of only and even in these sentences then?

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Only is an adjective as well:
a: alone in a class or category :sole<the only one left><the only known species>

Indeed it is, but not here!

'Only' is classified as an adjective only when it has the meaning 'sole' and functions as a modifier within a noun clause, e.g. an only child, the only problem.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What is the function of only and even in these sentences then?

As already stated ADVERBS (belonging to a category of adverbial categorized by Quirk et al. as subjuncts).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As already stated ADVERBS (belonging to a category of adverbial categorized by Quirk et al. as subjuncts).
Fine, but Quirk et al (1985.604) say that focusing subjuncts such as even "candraw attention to part of a sentence as wide as the predication or as narrow as a single costituent of an element ...". It seems to me that it is not unreasonable to use the word modify of way in which even draws attention to you.

Huddleston and Pullum (2002, 594-5), writing of even in sentences such as Even you would have enjoyed dancing tonight, say "It usually precedes the head it modifies ..." (my emphasis added).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Indeed it is, but not here!

'Only' is classified as an adjective only when it has the meaning 'sole' and functions as a modifier within a noun clause, e.g. an only child, the only problem.

But that's exactly what it means here.
You are the sole person who can do it. You are alone in the class of people who can do it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But that's exactly what it means here.
You are the sole person who can do it. You are alone in the class of people who can do it.
Interesting idea, but I don't think it functions as an adjective in "Only you can do it". If we were to replace 'Only' by 'sole' or 'solely', it would have to be the latter. "Solely you can do it is", I admit, ugly, but is just about possible; 'Sole you can do it' is not possible. This suggests that 'only' must be in the same class as 'solely'.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
ine, but Quirk et al (1985.604) say that focusing subjuncts such as even "candraw attention to part of a sentence as wide as the predication or as narrow as a single costituent of an element ...". It seems to me that it is not unreasonable to use the word modify of way in which even draws attention to you.

'Drawing attention' - a general, daily-use concept - and 'modifiying' - a clearly definable grammatical concept - are not the same. To assert than any adverbial can ever modify any substantive would be to contradict the universally accepted definition of an adverb(ial).

Huddleston and Pullum (2002, 594-5), writing of even in sentences such as Even you would have enjoyed dancing tonight, say "It usually precedes the head it modifies ..." (my emphasis added).[/QUOTE]

I have made clear on a number of previous occasions my thoughts on Messrs. Huddleston and Pullum and their so-called grammar of the English language (although I'm sure that a search would reveal them). This misuse of basic grammatical terminology is sadly typical of this slipshod and misguided handicap to the study of English.

EOC

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Interesting idea, but I don't think it functions as an adjective in "Only you can do it". If we were to replace 'Only' by 'sole' or 'solely', it would have to be the latter. "Solely you can do it is", I admit, ugly, but is just about possible; 'Sole you can do it' is not possible. This suggests that 'only' must be in the same class as 'solely'.

Thank you.
Three cheers for common sense!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have made clear on a number of previous occasions my thoughts on Messrs. Huddleston and Pullum and their so-called grammar of the English language
You have indeed.
This misuse of basic grammatical terminology is sadly typical of this slipshod and misguided handicap to the study of English.
You mean they put forward ideas and suggestions that don't agree with yours?

Others disgree with your opinion. In his review of 'this monumentally impressive' grammar, Peter Culicover agrees with reviewers who have described it as 'a notable achievement', 'authoritative, interesting', 'one of the most superb works of academic scholarship ever to appear on the English linguistics scene ... a monumental work that offers easily the most comprehensive and thought-provoking treatment of English grammar to date'.

Status
Not open for further replies.