Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask what the phrase "if not altogether impossible" implies in the following context:

Sometimes the challenges come from others. Every now and then, you findyour sunlight blocked by other leaves. You are left in the dark and your photosynthesis grinds to a halt.

We all have experience with such a situation. There are always negative people around who will cast their shadows over us. By their words or actions they can put us in a state of darkness where it is difficult, if not altogether impossible, to progress spiritually.

Does the phrase in question mean it is very difficult, but still possible (to progress spiritually), or does it imply that it is entirely impossible?

Bamako3

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Bashkir
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
American Samoa
Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask what the phrase "if not altogether impossible" implies in the following context:

Sometimes the challenges come from others. Every now and then, you findyour sunlight blocked by other leaves. You are left in the dark and your photosynthesis grinds to a halt.

We all have experience with such a situation. There are always negative people around who will cast their shadows over us. By their words or actions they can put us in a state of darkness where it is difficult, if not altogether impossible, to progress spiritually.

Does the phrase in question mean it is very difficult, but still possible (to progress spiritually), or does it imply that it is entirely impossible?

if = although
altogether = completely
altogether impossible = completely impossible
not altogether impossible = only marginally possible
if not altogether impossible = although only marginally possible

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
if = although
altogether = completely

I'd rather explain it in another way. I don't like to say that if=although. if=if.

Last edited:

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone,

The text does not say that it is still possible or entirely impossible. It has doubts about it. It says that it is difficult and even perhaps impossible.

perhaps you don't understand why it says "if". We can rewrite the sentence like this:

If it is not altogether impossible, (then atleast) it is difficult to progress spritually.

If not this then that.

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much, Khosro.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is not a matter of taste. :)

even though: an enthusiastic if small audience.
If | Define If at Dictionary.com

I think I can undertsand "if" in "if not altogether impossible" without converting it into "although". Just with a combination of "if" and "atleast", and I think "atleast" is the omited word here.

I don't know if I can explain it to the others in the same way I understand it and I might be wrong. It's not a matter of taste but I do not consider it just my taste.

In my opinion, "if" has a concept, I'd better say a function. From this concept/function some different meanings emerge. Meanings such as "in case of", "when", "even though", ... . And I think if we can realize the main concept/function of "if" then we can produce those other meanings easily.

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
On what grounds do you discriminate helpers? Their member status? :)

I reckon we cannot influence others to do what we'd like them to. Thanking someone for their help is entirely up to them, the people being helped. But I've noticed that on this forum, if you find a friend, or even better a few of them, then you can exchange thanks with each other and boost your reputation while discussing topics. Mind you, your opinions must be alike or at least similar for that matter.
Incidentally, do you really care that you haven't been thanked in a thread while some other guy has? I would have thought it's your knowledge that's important, and not the number of thanks you've got. :-o

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
if = although
altogether = completely

Here I want to follow your strategy because you are also quite right about if=although, but what about the others

altogether = completely
not altogether impossible = not completely impossible
if not altogether impossible = although not completely impossible

I came to a different result! (which is not much different!)

Bamako3

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Bashkir
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
American Samoa
I reckon we cannot influence others to do what we'd like them to.

To some degree, I am even willing to accept different views. However, as to everything else, there is a limit to it too.

Incidentally, do you really care that you haven't been thanked in a thread while some other guy has?

1. Discriminating helpers based on their supposed intellect and the usefulness of their help is not a very polite gesture. (Never look a gift horse....)
2. When someone is not very polite, I usually start to feel bad and be mad.
3. For my help I do not expect any favors, but I do not expect a sour taste left in my mouth either.

I would have thought it's your knowledge that's important, and not the number of thanks you've got. :-o

My feelings count rather than the number of thanks.

Last edited:

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you, Bamako3.

It was totally my fault -- I forgot to thank you for your help, very sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.