Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Recently, when I was withdrawing amount from ATM,. an additional amount was deducted more than what I withdrew from my account.

Is it correct to say "additional amount"? or Would "extra amount" be apt?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say "Recently, when I withdrew cash from an ATM, more money was deducted from my account than I actually withdrew in cash".

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would say "Recently, when I withdrew cash from an ATM, more money was deducted from my account than I actually withdrew in cash".

I want to mention how much (more) money was deducted from my account.

For example; If 100$ was deduced from my account more than what I withdrew, how shall I mention it?

Recently, when I withdrew cash from an ATM, 100$ more was deducted from my account than(what) I actually withdrew in cash.

1) Is this okay?

2) Is the word "what"wrong or just redundant?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would be more specific in that case.

On 2 January 2013 at 2.05pm, I withdrew $100 from the ATM at [name of bank and street address]. However, my bank statement shows that I withdrew $200. That is incorrect. I only withdrew $100. Please arrange for a refund of the extra $100 to my account as soon as possible.

The word "what" is wrong in your suggestions.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I think I know what david11 means. In India if you withdraw money from an ATM, there are charges. If, for example, you are in another country or, in some cases, in another state within India and you withdraw a small amount of money, the charges can be more than the amount you withdrew. If I withdrew Rs200/- from my account at the Bank of Baroda in Udaipur from an ATM at ICCCI Bank in Amritsar or from Crédit Agricole in Lyon, the charge for the transaction could be Rs300/-. I would say "I withdrew Rs200/- from my Bank of Baroda account in Lyon, and they charged me Rs300/- for the transaction!"

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Presumably, though, someone who uses an ATM abroad would know that they were going to be charged, and would have found out in advance what the fee is, so it wouldn't be a surprise to find that the charge had been levied.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Presumably, though, someone who uses an ATM abroad would know that they were going to be charged, and would have found out in advance what the fee is, so it wouldn't be a surprise to find that the charge had been levied.

Possibly, yes (not always in my experience), but you might want to tell someone about it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Possibly, yes (not always in my experience), but you might want to tell someone about it.

That's true. I think my assumption was that the OP wanted to write a letter to the bank to complain about the extra money having been deducted.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think I know what david11 means. In India if you withdraw money from an ATM, there are charges. If, for example, you are in another country or, in some cases, in another state within India and you withdraw a small amount of money, the charges can be more than the amount you withdrew."

No, I didn't mean it. In fact, I don't have to pay charges for first five transactions of a month. First, it had been as you have said but it was changed that an account holder of any bank can withdraw money from any bank ATMs without any service charge. Again, it is changed that service charge will be applied for withdrawal from other banks but not for first five transactions.

If I withdrew Rs200/- from my account at the Bank of Baroda in Udaipur from an ATM at ICCCI Bank in Amritsar or from Crédit Agricole in Lyon, the charge for the transaction could be Rs300/-. I would say "I withdrew Rs200/- from my Bank of Baroda account in Lyon, and they charged me Rs300/- for the transaction!"

Not anymore. Since Banks are nationalized, If I have an account in Bank of Baroda in Chennai, I can withdraw money from Amritsar without any service charges applied. I can even deposit a cheque in any branch of the bank, where I have the account, around India.

(Bhai, it is not a good idea to withdraw amounts like ₹200 from international banks like ICCCI :). I once withdrew ₹100 from ICCCI ATM but I was charged more than half I withdrew. :-()

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That's true. I think my assumption was that the OP wanted to write a letter to the bank to complain about the extra money having been deducted.

Yes, you are right. I meant exactly the same.:)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, I didn't mean it. In fact, I don't have to pay charges for first five transactions of a month. First, it had been as you have said but it was changed that an account holder of any bank can withdraw money from any bank ATMs without any service charge. Again, it is changed that service charge will be applied for withdrawal from other banks but not for first five transactions.

Not anymore. Since Banks are nationalized, If I have an account in Bank of Baroda in Chennai, I can withdraw money from Amritsar without any service charges applied. I can even deposit a cheque in any branch of the bank, where I have the account, around India.

(Bhai, it is not a good idea to withdraw amounts like ₹200 from international banks like ICCCI :). I once withdrew ₹100 from ICCCI ATM but I was charged more than half I withdrew. :-()

Ok, thanks. I'm glad it has changed now.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, you are right. I meant exactly the same.:)

David, that context would have been more useful in post #1 than in post #10.

Rover

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
David, that context would have been more useful in post #1 than in post #10.

Rover

What context are you referring to? In post 10, I just acknowledged that what emsr assumed is right.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In post #1 you could have said you wanted to write a letter of complaint to your bank.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In post #1 you could have said you wanted to write a letter of complaint to your bank.

Yes, I could have but my main question was which word would be suitable, either extra or additional. Unless emsr pointed out I though the rest of the sentence was okay.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I could have but my main question was which word would be suitable, either extra or additional. Unless emsr pointed out I though the rest of the sentence was okay.

We understand that but the point is still that context can make a difference. If I had been telling a friend what the bank had done, I might say "Can't believe it. I took out $100 from that ATM the other day, and it took an extra $50 off my account". That would absolutely not be the way you would write it in a complaint to the bank and, when writing to the bank, I would say "additional", not "extra". So as you can see, context would have made a difference when deciding which one to use. It was sheer luck that I guessed you wanted the more formal variety and gave you a sentence to use in a letter to a bank manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.