Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As far as I read, there are three sorts of input;

1-child and her self-correction
2-parental input
3-environmental input including teacher talk and foreigner talk

Why don't parentes belong to envioronmental input category?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
As far as I read, there are three sorts of input;

1-child and her self-correction
2-parental input
3-environmental input including teacher talk and foreigner talk

Why don't parentes belong to envioronmental input category?

I'm not entirely sure what these are referring to - I'm assumuing it's inputs of language when a child is acquiring language? Also, I've never heard of them, so what I'm saying is just personal suggestion.

I'd say parental input is enviromental, but it is much more intensive and interactive than that of other environmental input, so it should be seperate. A parent communicates with their child far more frequently than anyone/anything else in the child's environment.

Environmental input will include general language stimulation, such as hearing conversation and watching television. Despite the general consensus that 'watching tv is bad for your kids', they will actually learn quite a lot from Children's TV programmes. As long as there's a balance between all forms of interaction and communication, there's no problem.

Also, I'd like to say 'parents/carers', since it's not always the parents who care for children. :)

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm not entirely sure what these are referring to - I'm assumuing it's inputs of language when a child is acquiring language? Also, I've never heard of them, so what I'm saying is just personal suggestion.

I'd say parental input is enviromental, but it is much more intensive and interactive than that of other environmental input, so it should be seperate. A parent communicates with their child far more frequently than anyone/anything else in the child's environment.

Environmental input will include general language stimulation, such as hearing conversation and watching television. Despite the general consensus that 'watching tv is bad for your kids', they will actually learn quite a lot from Children's TV programmes. As long as there's a balance between all forms of interaction and communication, there's no problem.

Also, I'd like to say 'parents/carers', since it's not always the parents who care for children. :)
Thanks for your explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.