Scarcer or More Scarce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnaZ

Member Type
Other
Hi, While I was reviewing a text a doubt came to my mind: shoud I say " Labour has become more scarce" or "Labour has become scarcer"? Can you please help me? :) Thank you. Ana

baqarah131

Member Type
Other
For a one-syllable word, you make the comparative with -er:
scarcer

For a word of three or more syllables, you make the comparative with the word "more":
more abundant

For two-syllable words, "more" is used more often, but there are many exceptions, and there are words where either form is accepted.

You posted this seven hours ago. I hope next time we'll give you a faster answer, prompter, more rapid, more immediate.

regards
edward

Hi, While I was reviewing a text a doubt came to my mind: shoud I say " Labour has become more scarce" or "Labour has become scarcer"? Can you please help me? :) Thank you. Ana

AnaZ

Member Type
Other
Thank's... I should trust more those basic rules we learn at school :) It's just that, sometimes, especially when writing under pressure, I have this "stupid" doubts. Usually, the excuse I give myself is "It does't sound well!". Once again, thank you... And don't worry; the answer came right on time! Best Regards, Ana

mr.nalra

Member Type
English Teacher
For a one-syllable word, you make the comparative with -er:
scarcer

For a word of three or more syllables, you make the comparative with the word "more":
more abundant

For two-syllable words, "more" is used more often, but there are many exceptions, and there are words where either form is accepted.

You posted this seven hours ago. I hope next time we'll give you a faster answer, prompter, more rapid, more immediate.

regards
edward

Edward, I just made an account to let you know that I got it. Funny.

--I'M NOT A TEACHER--

Status
Not open for further replies.