Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
A McKinsey study in 2010 found that both women and men agreed: it is tough for women to climb the corporate ladder with teeth clamped around their ankles.

What does "teeth clamped around their ankles" mean?

Thanks!

JY

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A McKinsey study in 2010 found that both women and men agreed: it is tough for women to climb the corporate ladder with teeth clamped around their ankles.

Thanks!

JY

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks!

JY
Wouldn't it be a metaphor for men doing all they can to stop women climbing the ladder? Men are climbing the same ladder, and the woman is above the man ...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Wouldn't it be a metaphor for men doing all they can to stop women climbing the ladder? Men are climbing the same ladder, and the woman is above the man ...
That's how I see it. The men, like dogs, are seizing the ankles of the women above in order to pull them back.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia

I think this refers to the term "ankle-biters", meaning children, and is therefore about the problems faced by women who are in the workforce while raising children at the same time.

not a teacher

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think this refers to the term "ankle-biters", meaning children, and is therefore about the problems faced by women who are in the workforce while raising children at the same time.
I was mistaken. You appear to be right: see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.