Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
England
Hi,
Im new here! Have been browsing the questions and love it! So, decided to post one... I recently heard the expression 'can't make a cat noise, but someone please get a saucer of milk' never heard this before. Can someone help to clarify what the meaning if it please? I think it could mean something like 'who does one think he/she is fooling?' but not sure...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Im new here! Have been browsing the questions and love it! So, decided to post one... I recently heard the expression 'can't make a cat noise, but someone please get a saucer of milk' never heard this before. Can someone help to clarify what the meaning if it please? I think it could mean something like 'who does one think he/she is fooling?' but not sure...

In BrE, we sometimes say "Miaow, get her another saucer of milk" when someone has said something rather mean, bitchy, sarcastic or (as we appropriately call it) catty. It's a reference to the person who spoke first being considered "catty" and the fact that pet cats drink milk from saucers.

I have a question about your thread title - what on earth does "PB2AMH" mean in reference to your question? It's helpful if your thread titles actually contain the phrase you are querying. A good title would have been "Meaning of "please get a saucer of milk" please" or something similar.

Last edited:

gica

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
England
Re: Can't make a cat noise, but someone pls get a saucer of milk

In BrE, we sometimes say "Miaow, get her another saucer of milk" when someone has said something rather mean, bitchy, sarcastic or (as we appropriate call it) catty. It's a reference to the person who spoke first being considered "catty" and the fact that pet cats drink milk from saucers.

I have a question about your thread title - what on earth does "PB2AMH" mean in reference to your question? It's helpful if your thread titles actually contain the phrase you are querying. A good title would have been "Meaning of "please get a saucer of milk" please" or something similar.

Thank you for the reply. Apologies for the code as title. The captcha validation code was picked up in the title line for some reason, then I tried to edit and couldn't do it !! sorted now...

Status
Not open for further replies.