Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Hello All,

I was wondering which of the following tenses are most appropriate and acceptable in writing an annotated bibliography / critique in general. Thanks

1) In the article, the authors suggest three possible solutions to...
2) ................................... have suggested ...........................
3) ....................................suggested ............................

I have heard time and again that both the present and the past tenses can be used but do excuse me to be a bit pedantic here. I'd really like to know the 'most academic and conventional' way when writing the above.

Thank you so much

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello All,

I was wondering which of the following tenses are most appropriate and acceptable in writing an annotated bibliography / critique in general. Thanks

1) In the article, the authors suggest three possible solutions to...
2) ................................... have suggested ...........................
3) ....................................suggested ............................

I have heard time and again that both the present and the past tenses can be used but do excuse me to be a bit pedantic here. I'd really like to know the 'most academic and conventional' way when writing the above.

Thank you so much

I would use #1.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would use #1.
So would I and, I think, so would most other writers. However, I have seen #3, particularly when the writer is about to come up with something that contradicts the authors, or something that the authors themselves have changed their minds about. #2 suggests, in my opinion, something that the writer is presenting as a recent view - one with which s/he may not be in total agreement. The present tense is always, in my opinion, acceptable.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use #1.

:up: With the exception of a case like an academic discussion: 'In <date> B. F. Skinner had written ..., but in <date> Noam Chomsky suggested that this was a load of hooey'. (That last phrase is perhaps over-demotic :oops:)

b

PS 5jj got there first (not '5jj [STRIKE]gets[/STRIKE] there first - though he often does;-))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.