Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi everyone!

I have been in NYC for 80 days doing some research for my next non-fiction book on "Sex and the City".

Now that I'm back in Japan, I will start asking you guys a lot of questions!

What are the difference between ich, yuck and ew? Seems to me there's not much difference except yuch is no longer in use nowadays.

In the sixth season of "SATC", there's a title "The Ick Factor", hence the question.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi everyone!

I have been in NYC for 80 days doing some research for my next non-fiction book on "Sex and the City".

Now that I'm back in Japan, I will start asking you guys a lot of questions!

What are the difference between ich, yuck and ew? Seems to me there's not much difference except yuch is no longer in use nowadays.

In the sixth season of "SATC", there's a title "The Ick Factor", hence the question.
You're right, "yuck" is a bit dated. But they all mean roughly the same.
You can add 'erk'

PS: Do you really speak Javanese, or is that a typo?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Yuck" (sometimes spelled "yech" but still pronounced as "yuck") is not necessarily out of fashion....many people will still involuntarily utter it when faced with something distasteful. "Yuck" is used more as an actual exclamation rather than as an adjective for something disgusting.

"Ick", on the other hand, is not as readily exclaimed but is used as a common adjective to describe something unappealing. For example, if I told you this particular YouTube video showed a human autopsy, you might decline to view it, stating "That's too icky for me." However, if you were to watch the autopsy video with no warning of what you were about to see, you would most likely wince, avert your eyes and make a "yuck!" or "eeew!" sound, not "ick."

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Oh my goodness! I speak Javanese!? Is it pidgin Japanese?? No. it's typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.