[Grammar] Which sentence is more frequent in real life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!

Which one of the following sentences is more frequent or perhaps more accurate?

I'm studying French at the university.

I study French at the university.

I mean when you want ask a person about his course of study, should it be in present progressive or simple present form?
As far as studying a course of study is not a habitual task, my choice is the second one. What do you think?

Thanks in advance !!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If they have not yet finished their studies then use the present continuous. Note that you don't need the definite article.

I'm studying French at university.

Cory Sampson

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Simple present ("I study French") is usually reserved for statements about habit which the speaker does not expect will change at any point. Since very few people make it their life goal to study French all the time, I agree that "I am studying French" is more appropriate.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If they have not yet finished their studies then use the present continuous. Note that you don't need the definite article.

Welllllllllll (the best I can do to indicate a long and drawn out "well" :-?) ems, don't forget us AmE speakers. We would use "the" before university/college.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

Which one of the following sentences is more frequent or perhaps more accurate?

I'm studying French at the university.

I study French at the university.

I mean when you want ask a person about his course of study, should it be in present progressive or simple present form?
As far as studying a course of study is not a habitual task, my choice is the second one. What do you think?

Thanks in advance !!

Actually, I see little difference, but as always, context rules. For example, I think that if someone asked me "What are you doing these days?" (at this tome/present prog.), I would be inclined to respond, "I'm studying French at the university". On the other hand, if someone inquired, "What language do you study (simple pres.)?" I would probably answer, "I study French at etc." But again, my response might depend on what I had for breakfast.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welllllllllll (the best I can do to indicate a long and drawn out "well" :-?) ems, don't forget us AmE speakers. We would use "the" before university/college.
I think that most of us who respond here speak only for our own variety/dialect of English, as most members realise. Newer members can always click on 'Member Info' to find out where we (claim to) come from.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Ah, OK. I actually figured that in AmE it would probably be "I'm studying French in college" which is why I didn't make any mention of mine being BrE specifically. Having said that, I am genuinely surprised that it's "at the university" even in AmE. I will add now something which I was going to put in my original post - if you are actually naming the university and its name includes "The" then it would be necessary.

I am studying French at Manchester University.
I am studying French at The University of East Anglia in Norwich.

I will restate though that, in British English, we just say "I'm studying French at university".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that most of us who respond here speak only for our own variety/dialect of English, as most members realise. Newer members can always click on 'Member Info' to find out where we (claim to) come from.

True. But especially for new(er) members, when to check and, in particular, for what terms would make for a difficult, if not impossible and impractical task.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah, OK. I actually figured that in AmE it would probably be "I'm studying French in college" which is why I didn't make any mention of mine being BrE specifically. Having said that, I am genuinely surprised that it's "at the university" even in AmE. I will add now something which I was going to put in my original post - if you are actually naming the university and its name includes "The" then it would be necessary.

I am studying French at Manchester University.
I am studying French at The University of East Anglia in Norwich.

I will restate though that, in British English, we just say "I'm studying French at university".

OK, and I should have mentioned that in my examples and based on toloue_man's examples, the speaker's use of "the" (in AmE) assumes that the person to whom he/she was speaking, knew at which university the speaker studied. Also, in AmE you might hear a response such as "I'm in college" when a person is simply referring to the fact that he/she is studying beyond the secondary level and "college" would be a general reference to either a college or a university.

Last edited:

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Actually, I see little difference, but as always, context rules. For example, I think that if someone asked me "What are you doing these days?" (at this tome/present prog.), I would be inclined to respond, "I'm studying French at the university". On the other hand, if someone inquired, "What language do you study (simple pres.)?" I would probably answer, "I study French at etc." But again, my response might depend on what I had for breakfast.

Thanks for your attention !

I think both forms can convey the message and also it depends on context but I think according to following reasons, the present progressive is more accurate:

1)As far as studying usually has a limited duration , usually a 4-year term , and this fact that present progressive is used for long periods.

For e.g we can say: He is writing a book this year.

2) As I said in my original post , studying a course is not forever. One does not study a course is his/her whole life. So it is not a habit.

I think the correct form should be like this:

What are you studying at university?

Please note that language is very widespread. There are many dialects which all have the same value. One might think that the correct tense is simple present is this context. But based on evidences which I provide , I think the present progressive is closer to standard or prestigious dialect.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your attention !

I think both forms can convey the message and also it depends on context but I think according to following reasons, the present progressive is more accurate:

1)As far as studying usually has a limited duration , usually a 4-year term , and this fact that present progressive is used for long periods.

For e.g we can say: He is writing a book this year.

2) As I said in my original post , studying a course is not forever. One does not study a course is his/her whole life. So it is not a habit.

Please note that language is very widespread. There are many dialects which all have the same value. One might think that the correct tense is simple present is this context. But based on evidences which I provide , I think the present progressive is closer to standard or prestigious dialect.

OK. I understand your understanding :) but allow me to add some final (aren't you glad?) examples in AmE usage compared to your examples.

Your Example "What are you studying at university?"
AmE (typical) "What are you studying in college?" (The speaker may or may not know the name of the institution and regardless of whether the response expected would be a college or university) OR "What are you studying at Villanova?" (the speaker knows where the student is studying)

Your Example "I'm studying French at university".
AmE (typical response to previous question) "I'm studying French" OR "I'm studying French in college" (regardless of whether the student attends a college or university) OR "I'm studying French at Villanova." (response if speaker knows that person asking the question doesn't know where the student is studying)

And finally (again, aren't you glad), a situation/scenario could be made for use of simple present, but I think that's enough (maybe more than enough) from me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think both forms can convey the message and also it depends on context
I agree
but I think according to following reasons, the present progressive is more accurate:
I disagree, as you did half a sentence ago.
The present progressive can be used for very short periods.

That is indeed the 'correct' form - in certain contexts. It is not correct in other contexts.
Please note that language is very widespread.
I think we'd all agree on that. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's universal among humans.
There are many dialects which all have the same value.
I don't know what you mean by that.
One might think that the correct tense is simple present is this context. But based on evidence[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] which I provide , I think the present progressive is closer to standard or prestigious dialect.
No, it isn't.

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I agree I disagree, as you did half a sentence ago. The present progressive can be used for very short periods.That is indeed the 'correct' form - in certain contexts. It is not correct in other contexts.I think we'd all agree on that. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's universal among humans.I don't know what you mean by that.No, it isn't.

So, do you think which tense is more accurate ?

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
OK. I understand your understanding :) but allow me to add some final (aren't you glad?) examples in AmE usage compared to your examples.

Your Example "What are you studying at university?"
AmE (typical) "What are you studying in college?" (The speaker may or may not know the name of the institution and regardless of whether the response expected would be a college or university) OR "What are you studying at Villanova?" (the speaker knows where the student is studying)

Your Example "I'm studying French at university".
AmE (typical response to previous question) "I'm studying French" OR "I'm studying French in college" (regardless of whether the student attends a college or university) OR "I'm studying French at Villanova." (response if speaker knows that person asking the question doesn't know where the student is studying)

And finally (again, aren't you glad), a situation/scenario could be made for use of simple present, but I think that's enough (maybe more than enough) from me.

I asked about tenses but you gave me some explanations about articles usage. There is a sharp contrast between them.
Anyway, thanks for your attention.:up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status