Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me the difference between the verbs to strike and to hit

I have teaching practise in a few days so I will be grateful if you can give me some ideas on this.

And if anyone knows the best way to teach to Strike to students.

Shall I use pictures, which examples etc

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me the difference between the verbs to strike and to hit

I have teaching practise in a few days so I will be grateful if you can give me some ideas on this.

And if anyone knows the best way to teach to Strike to students.

Shall I use pictures, which examples etc

Thanks

Have you looked them up in a dictionary? If you have, you will have found that they can mean more or less the same but they each have other meanings.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The words are basically synonyms. Except in baseball where a strike is the opposite of a hit.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The words are basically synonyms. Except in baseball where a strike is the opposite of a hit.

Well, not exactly. In baseball a "strike" is the opposite of a "ball" (i.e. not the physical object/entity; rather a call the umpire makes when the ball [physical object] is outside the strike zone).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, not exactly. In baseball a "strike" is the opposite of a "ball" (i.e. not the physical object/entity; rather a call the umpire makes when the ball [physical object] is outside the strike zone).

Yeah, but when you completely miss the ball while swinging, it's a strike and not a hit.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And, of course, "to strike" can mean "to refuse to work" for some reason, usually to get something you want or to show your opposition to something that has happened, is happening or is going to happen.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah, but when you completely miss the ball while swinging, it's a strike and not a hit.

Well, I cannot take exception with that statement, but you can hit the ball and it becomes a strike if the result is that it does not hit the ground in the field of play.
However, I would still argue that "a strike" is not the opposite of "a hit" if for no other reason than the umpire may call either "a strike" or (in my opinion, the opposite) "a ball" without the batter swinging his/her bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.