Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I understand the general idea of the text below but I am completely puzzled by 'snapping at their flanks'. Any ideas?

"In another, from Canterbury Museum, a group of determined polar bears, wildebeest, grizzly bears and bison seem to be charging down a red walled corridor, with a wolf and an oddly contorted hare snapping at their flanks – this commotion in spite their being in light crates or on differently coloured supporting bases."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This refers to a photograph by Neil Pardington. I have so far been unsuccessful in finding an image of it.

Snapping at their flanks means 'trying to bite the sides of their bodies'.

I'll keep looking.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand the general idea of the text below but I am completely puzzled by 'snapping at their flanks'. Any ideas?

"In another, from Canterbury Museum, a group of determined polar bears, wildebeest, grizzly bears and bison seem to be charging down a red walled corridor, with a wolf and an oddly contorted hare snapping at their flanks – this commotion in spite their being in light crates or on differently coloured supporting bases."

"Snapping" is the fast opening and closing one's mouth. It's especially used to describe the motion of the jaws of an animal with very sharp teeth. If a dog is angry it might snap at you - it's an attempt to bite.

"Flanks" are the side and rear parts of an animal - its sides, back legs, haunches. If an animal is being chased it is its flanks which are in most danger as they are closest to the jaws of the animal which is chasing it.

So the animals in your post are running down a hallway with other animals close behind, trying to bite the rear parts of their bodies.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here it is.

Rather an odd description of the picture, I thought.

Rover

pizza

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks a lot, I understand now. Creepy photos.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Snapping" is the fast opening and closing one's mouth. It's especially used to describe the motion of the jaws of an animal with very sharp teeth. If a dog is angry it might snap at you - it's an attempt to bite.

"Flanks" are the side and rear parts of an animal - its sides, back legs, haunches. If an animal is being chased it is its flanks which are in most danger as they are closest to the jaws of the animal which is chasing it.

So the animals in your post are running down a hallway with other animals close behind, trying to bite the rear parts of their bodies.

:up: I haven't seen the picture, but I would guess that this accounts for their being 'oddly contorted'. They are running in one direction and trying to bite at right angles to that direction.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.