Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
[…]
There definitely is a long way until a true reunification of Germany on all levels. Films like ‘Goodbye Lenin’ might help improving and facilitating mutual understanding.

This is a student review of the film Goodbye Lenin which I found in a CPE sample paper here. According to the examiner, this review contains a few minor errors

The first sentence seems incomplete to me. I think we need to add a verb and I would change the position of “definitely”:

There is definitely a long way until a true reunification of Germany takes place on all levels.

1. Is the position of “definitely” more appropriate in my rewritten sentence?
  2. Is the addition of “takes place” appropriate here?

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[…]
There definitely is a long way until a true reunification of Germany on all levels. Films like ‘Goodbye Lenin’ might help improving and facilitating mutual understanding.

This is a student review of the film Goodbye Lenin which I found in a CPE sample paper here. According to the examiner, this review contains a few minor errors

The first sentence seems incomplete to me. I think we need to add a verb and I would change the position of “definitely”:

There is definitely a long way until a true reunification of Germany takes place on all levels.

Thank you in advance.

The first sentence isn't well written at all. I would try:

There is definitely a long way to go until the true reunification of Germany ...
It will be a long time before the true reunification of Germany takes place ...

The second sentence is incorrect too.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[…]
There definitely is a long way until a true reunification of Germany (Something is needed here) on all levels. Films like ‘Goodbye Lenin’ might help (Something is needed here) improving and facilitating mutual understanding.

Thank you in advance.
Try inserting some words in the places I noted above. After you do that we can consider whether placement is important.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thanks, emsr2d2.

Try inserting some words in the places I noted above. After you do that we can consider whether placement is important.

Gillnetter, I tried to insert a few words into the first sentence, but from your response I take it that my version is wrong too?

Regarding the second a sentence, I'm not quite sure how we can correct it by adding a few words. My initial idea was to change it altogether:

Films like ‘Goodbye Lenin’ might help to improve and facilitate a mutual understanding.

Did you have this in mind, 'Films likeGoodbye Lenin’ might help to establish an improving and facilitating mutual understanding'?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[…]
There definitely is a long way (to go) until a true reunification of Germany (occurs, happens, takes place, is achieved, is realized, etc.) on all levels. Films like ‘Goodbye Lenin’ might help (by) improving and facilitating mutual understanding.

There is definitely a long way (to go) until a true reunification of Germany takes place on all levels.

Thank you in advance.
When asked to remedy minor errors it is best not to reconstruct a sentence.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
When asked to remedy minor errors it is best not to reconstruct a sentence.

Well, in that case, I'm out of ideas :oops:. The only way I can make it work is to write, 'Films like ‘Goodbye Lenin’ might help (to) improve and facilitate a mutual understanding.'

I don't know how I can fix the sentence by filling in the gaps in 'Films like ‘Goodbye Lenin’ might help . . . . . . . . . . . . . improving and facilitating mutual understanding.'

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Use "by" after "might help".

Status