English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
If you want to teach the elementary students the object pronouns, how do you do it? I would be happy to receive your nice and useful hints on that. I mean a warm-up a kind of engagement for the students regarding the object pronouns. The context of the lesson is about food and restaurant.
Regards

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hellooooooooo:roll:
I'm still waiting for your useful suggestions.
regards

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What's the reason for the food link with pronouns- how are they taught in the unit?

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks. The whole unit is about food, ordering food in a restaurant, shopping for food and the grammatical points that are included are countable/ uncountable nouns, any/some,a/an and object pronouns. In one of the lessons there's one listening exercise about a group of people who are ordering food at a restaurant. After that simply and not interestingly there's one exercise (fill in the blank type of exercise) that students should listen to the previous exercise once more and it has to be completed with the object pronouns. You see the way this grammar point has been taught is not interesting I'd like to make it more interesting.
The exercise is like this:
1.No, that's not for..........
2.Two vegetarian pizzas? I really like.......

I never enjoy this direct facing and teaching of grammar points, because this exercise is also directly followed by the grammar focus about object pronoun and a 5-line follow up exercise and that's it.
Thanks in advance.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I asked because it doesn't seem to be an area rich in object pronouns. It sounds a bit artificially grafted on- in a restaurant, I tend to use me most of the time- could you bring me, etc. And the natural thing with food is like/dislike, etc, which again is not natural territory for object pronouns. If I had a unit like this, I would sidestep it and do something else.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks dear Tdol.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I asked because it doesn't seem to be an area rich in object pronouns. ....

Possibly, though, for indirect ones. 'Would you pass me the salt?...And Tom looks thirsty. Pass him the water.' 'Hold on - I've only got one pair of hands. Give me a chance.' ;-)

b

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks Bobk.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You could make a set of cards with object pronouns written on them. Another set of cards should be with various verbs the pronouns may be used with (e.g. like (it), take (it), pass (me), help (me), boil (them), grate (them), fry, bake, chop, stew etc. The students work in pairs or in teams taking turns to make sentences using 2 cards at a time (one from the first pile, one from the other). The sentences should be related to the topic (food).
You could even make three piles adding one more pile with food vocabulary.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You could make a set of cards with object pronouns written on them. Another set of cards should be with various verbs the pronouns may be used with (e.g. like (it), take (it), pass (me), help (me), boil (them), grate (them), fry, bake, chop, stew etc. The students work in pairs or in teams taking turns to make sentences using 2 cards at a time (one from the first pile, one from the other). The sentences should be related to the topic (food).
You could even make three piles adding one more pile with food vocabulary.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.